Dismissed without warning for a mistake

Options

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,383 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jsuk said:
    the mistake part was done on the original system I still don't understand how it happened but I admitadly should have checked. 
    Presumably there's a set proceedure that should be followed in undertaking the process. What mitigating circumstances could they have been? To fight your cause you need to be able present a case. 
  • Tucosalamanca
    Tucosalamanca Posts: 588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    From what you've said, you might have a case but who knows what your former employer thinks?

I would say that it has to be worth seeking some advice .
    With 20yrs service, that's a lot of redundancy rights to lose, certainly enough to warrant a few hours of your time making further enquiries...
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,383 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jsuk said:
    Hoenir said:
    Jsuk said:
    the mistake part was done on the original system I still don't understand how it happened but I admitadly should have checked. 
    Presumably there's a set proceedure that should be followed in undertaking the process. What mitigating circumstances could they have been? To fight your cause you need to be able present a case. 
    Ther wer le no other mitigating circumstances other than the lack of training and lack of time doing my actual job (I said I was a bit rusty, my manager said it wasn't rustyness)

My point is that according to their own procedure on paper the only thing I can see that this would come under is careless work, this is listed as misconduct which requires a warning.
    Consult ACAS or an employment solicitor.  The Company has almost certainly sought HR advice before dismissing you in the manner they did. 
  • Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 11,053 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jsuk said:
    I have just had my employment of over 20 to years terminated without notice for "gross misconduct" I made a mistake which cost the company a lot of money (24k), I work for a (medium sized company) printers and the small mistake was printed and delivered on a large scale. I have not had any warnings and have not even been spoken to about a small mistake for well over a year, the investigation stated and aligation of "misconduct" but my termination letter says "gross misconduct" on the companys disciplinary procedure it says "careless work" is misconduct and should have a warning procedure, I feel this is what my mistake must come under. 
    Every one I've spoke to says this is NOT "gross misconduct and I should have had a warning. I have appealed. 
    Rather depends on how well qualified they are in employment law. Forget posting here and getting lots of random opinions and google links - see an employment solicitor and get some properly informed advice based on a full understanding of all relevant facts. 
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Jsuk
    Jsuk Posts: 40 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I will see what happens, I will delete this thread soon though as I don't really want this in the public domain.
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Jsuk said:
    Thanks everyone, I will see what happens, I will delete this thread soon though as I don't really want this in the public domain.
    Why - did you not get the advice you came for that might be useful to someone in a similar situation in the future ?

People take time and effort to read/respond and deleting a thread (not that YOU can) is considered very bad form.

Theres been a few in the past that I have tried to help/advise that have had their threads removed- I remember the names and won’t help them in the future (waste my time and effort again)
  • Undervalued
    Undervalued Posts: 8,914 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 18 April at 8:34AM
    Options
    Marcon said:
    Jsuk said:
    I have just had my employment of over 20 to years terminated without notice for "gross misconduct" I made a mistake which cost the company a lot of money (24k), I work for a (medium sized company) printers and the small mistake was printed and delivered on a large scale. I have not had any warnings and have not even been spoken to about a small mistake for well over a year, the investigation stated and aligation of "misconduct" but my termination letter says "gross misconduct" on the companys disciplinary procedure it says "careless work" is misconduct and should have a warning procedure, I feel this is what my mistake must come under. 
    Every one I've spoke to says this is NOT "gross misconduct and I should have had a warning. I have appealed. 
    Rather depends on how well qualified they are in employment law. Forget posting here and getting lots of random opinions and google links - see an employment solicitor and get some properly informed advice based on a full understanding of all relevant facts. 
    Indeed.

Two points to keep in mind....

Company disciplinary procedures are seldom a hard and fast contractual entitlement. They are more a guide how the firm normally deals with such matters. The days of statutory procedures are long gone. Although ACAS publish guidelines the law only requires the employer to make a reasonable (layman's) attempt to conduct a fair process. 

Also keep in mind that even if you achieve a technical win, any compensation for your dismissal can (and probably will) be reduced, possibly even to zero, to take account of your culpability.

Original post....

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 18 April at 9:42AM
    Options
    Jsuk said:
    Why - did you not get the advice you came for that might be useful to someone in a similar situation in the future ?

People take time and effort to read/respond and deleting a thread (not that YOU can) is considered very bad form.

Theres been a few in the past that I have tried to help/advise that have had their threads removed- I remember the names and won’t help them in the future (waste my time and effort again)
    I actually think deleting  parts of a thread is fair enough if you realise you’ve posted more than you intended and are potentially identifiable to the company concerned. Which I think this would be if they came across it.
    It’s different if someone strops off because they don’t like the answers they’ve had and deletes everything on that basis. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • LightFlare
    LightFlare Posts: 622 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Absolutely -- editing when you realise you may have inadvertently revealed more details than you should have is fine - deleting a whole thread, I don't think is correct
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 33,136 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Except they've now been quoted so I'm not sure what other options that leaves them?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure