Options
2»

Comments

• WidowTwanky_2
    WidowTwanky_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:
    @WidowTwanky_2 what do you define as "large" ?

I have sent numerous transfers of around £45,000 to Thailand (that is the single transfer limit) without any issues and have save £100s as compared to using SWIFT via my bank.
    Well, not that large, nowhere near, but a significant amount were I to lose it. The issue really does seem to be around the fact that it's going to an intermediary bank to be sent on. I've already paid once, through my bank, only to have the funds returned.
    Oversea's payments go via a or more than 1 intermediary bank. As there is no direct link, between banks.
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. The bank is an intermediary between itself and the final destination, and this is what my bank is having issue with. They want to know more about the final destination.
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 17 April at 2:17PM
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:

I have sent numerous transfers of around £45,000 to Thailand (that is the single transfer limit) without any issues and have save £100s as compared to using SWIFT via my bank.
    Well, not that large, nowhere near, but a significant amount were I to lose it. The issue really does seem to be around the fact that it's going to an intermediary bank to be sent on. I've already paid once, through my bank, only to have the funds returned.
    Oversea's payments go via a or more than 1 intermediary bank. As there is no direct link, between banks.
    Sorry. I wasn't clear. The bank is an intermediary between itself and the final destination, and this is what my bank is having issue with. They want to know more about the final destination.
    The US has a highly fragmented banking sector. Beneath the well known top 15. There are some 5,500 regional banks. Routing will have to go through one of the international operators. Then down through the chain. 
  • danco
    danco Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Generally speaking (though this is usually between UK banks) if I have a large sum to transfer I just send a fairly small amount and if this goes through Ok I then send the remainder. Would that work for you?

For payments to the USA (the only international ones I have made) I use XE.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:

Do the same as they do..
    Send a Cheque 😶‍🌫️
    Life in the slow lane
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,590 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 17 April at 3:39PM
    Options
    I would certainly have more confidence using Wise than from Co-op with FFC involved, with major cost saving. Ask your recipient for their local ABA routing code with their bank details, and sign up with Wise. The exact amount will arrive with no deductions, converted at the perfect interbank rate, costing a transparent and reasonable % fee. Send them $10 first to make sure, if you're still hesitant.
    Evolution, not revolution
  • WidowTwanky_2
    WidowTwanky_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    eDicky said:
    I would certainly have more confidence using Wise than from Co-op with FFC involved, with major cost saving. Ask your recipient for their local ABA routing code with their bank details, and sign up with Wise. The exact amount will arrive with no deductions, converted at the perfect interbank rate, costing a transparent and reasonable % fee. Send them $10 first to make sure, if you're still hesitant.
    Sending a small amount first, whichever method I find works, is exactly what I'm going to do. Absolutely.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback