IBAN numbers / International payments

Options
I'm trying - and failing - to make an international payment to the US from the UK.
I'm being given conflicting info.
My bank says that an IBAN should consist of 22 characters, but the IBAN number I have been given is only 8 characters long.
Google says that the US doesn't use the IBAN system. If that's the case, then why have I been given an IBAN number?
Thanks.

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,115 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Somebody at the other end doesn't understand the question. 
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    It's likely that you've been given a SWIFT (aka BIC) code for the recipient's bank.

Who is supplying you with this payee information?

Are you paying for goods/services? From a USD denominated account?

• WidowTwanky_2
    WidowTwanky_2 Posts: 58 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have been given a SWIFT code, but online banking asks for IBAN, not SWIFT. I guess I'm going to have to phone the bank. I owe someone in the US a sum of money, and I'm paying from a UK account.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Suggest you send it using WISE

https://wise.com/
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 17 April at 11:57AM
    Options
    If I try to set up a payment from my (eg) RBS account it asks which country I'm sending to (USA) and it then asks for Account Number & BIC/SWIFT.

As you say, check with your bank seems the best bet. If you share your bank's name then others may have experience to help. 
  • WidowTwanky_2
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:
    Suggest you send it using WISE

https://wise.com/
    Thanks. Yes, I have thought about that, but it's a large sum and so I'm nervous about doing it that way.
  • WidowTwanky_2
    Options
    If I try to set up a payment from my (eg) RBS account it asks which country I'm sending to (USA) and it then asks for Account Number & BIC/SWIFT.

As you say, check with your bank seems the best bet. If you share your bank's name then others may have experience to help. 
    Thanks. I've tried doing this with the Co-Op. They were very helpful but then we hit a serious road bump due to the money going through an intermediary bank and then onwards as an FFC / For Further Credit payment.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,064 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @WidowTwanky_2 what do you define as "large" ?

I have sent numerous transfers of around £45,000 to Thailand (that is the single transfer limit) without any issues and have save £100s as compared to using SWIFT via my bank.
  • WidowTwanky_2
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:

I have sent numerous transfers of around £45,000 to Thailand (that is the single transfer limit) without any issues and have save £100s as compared to using SWIFT via my bank.
    Well, not that large, nowhere near, but a significant amount were I to lose it. The issue really does seem to be around the fact that it's going to an intermediary bank to be sent on. I've already paid once, through my bank, only to have the funds returned.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Ayr_Rage said:

Well, not that large, nowhere near, but a significant amount were I to lose it. The issue really does seem to be around the fact that it's going to an intermediary bank to be sent on. I've already paid once, through my bank, only to have the funds returned.
    Oversea's payments go via a or more than 1 intermediary bank. As there is no direct link, between banks.
    Life in the slow lane
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure