Has something happened to the search?

Options
When we got this new forum, the best thing about it was the excellent search function. 

I've just tried to find a post I made (I think about a year ago) listing a bunch of seeds I bought and their expiry dates so I could update on the germination rates. I did this by doing a basic search for 'seed' and filtering by my username... 4 results, all from the recently, nothing earlier than this year. 

I searched instead for 'packet' and got two results - one where I said 'seed packet' that didn't come up in the first search results (?) 

It would be fantastic if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

(and if you can find the post all the better! - I also posted a picture of all of the packets. It was a MSE promoted deal for something like 25 packs of veg seed for £10) 
I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.

Comments

• BootsMullery
    BootsMullery Posts: 2,881 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    When we got this new forum, the best thing about it was the excellent search function. 

I've just tried to find a post I made (I think about a year ago) listing a bunch of seeds I bought and their expiry dates so I could update on the germination rates. I did this by doing a basic search for 'seed' and filtering by my username... 4 results, all from the recently, nothing earlier than this year. 

I searched instead for 'packet' and got two results - one where I said 'seed packet' that didn't come up in the first search results (?) 

It would be fantastic if someone could tell me what I'm doing wrong?

(and if you can find the post all the better! - I also posted a picture of all of the packets. It was a MSE promoted deal for something like 25 packs of veg seed for £10) 
    Was it related to the post here?  https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80237132/#Comment_80237132
    Bob
  • ArbitraryRandom
    ArbitraryRandom Posts: 2,571 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Homepage Hero Name Dropper
    Options
    Thank you, yes it was around that time, but it was a post listing all the seeds I had to sow this year. I just wanted to quote it to update the germinate rate so I/others can see what's worth getting again for next year. 

The exact post doesn't matter, it's just that the search used to be really good right after the forum migrated (it was the only thing about the new site that I preferred) and now it seems to randomly find some things but not others entirely inconsistently...  
    I'm not an early bird or a night owl; I’m some form of permanently exhausted pigeon.
  • BootsMullery
    Options
    Thank you, yes it was around that time, but it was a post listing all the seeds I had to sow this year. I just wanted to quote it to update the germinate rate so I/others can see what's worth getting again for next year. 

The exact post doesn't matter, it's just that the search used to be really good right after the forum migrated (it was the only thing about the new site that I preferred) and now it seems to randomly find some things but not others entirely inconsistently...  
    How about  this one: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80091070/#Comment_80091070
    Bob
  • ArbitraryRandom
    Options

How about  this one: https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80091070/#Comment_80091070
    Perfect :)  

How did you find it? (teach me!) 
  • BootsMullery
    Options

Perfect :)  

How did you find it? (teach me!) 
    I believe that if your search has two or more exact results in the same thread, it only returns the most recent of these. This can make things difficult. especially in long threads.

If you go back to your first search for seed, put that in the search box and add your name as a filter. You should now get 5 results, the first one being the thread we are now in.

The second result shows as :-
    Re: A catalogue of trial, error and advice
    Comment by ArbitraryRandomLast Updated: Apr 16, 2024Home › Gardening 2 results
    Thank you! And well spotted :)   I've just checked my seed packet and it's Silene Inflata (Bladder Campion). I got mine from Chiltern Seeds and only sowed it recently (not germinated as yet). The...

This is the thread you are looking for but only returning your most recent post that includes the word seed.
    It took me a while but I found it by paging back until I got there.
    For some unknown reason, your post seems to be invisible to search. I have tried various words/group of words but none have been found by search.

@MSE_Stephen  Can you (or someone else) determine why search cannot find this post from a word/words included in it?   https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/comment/80091070/#Comment_80091070

Bob
  • One-Eye
    One-Eye Posts: 66,645 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Searching "seed" with Author "ArbitraryRandom"

The second result is:

Click on where it says "11 results" and on page 2 you can see

The post doesn't seem to be invisible to search, you can go straight there using search terms like "melothria" and  "waltham butternut"

• ArbitraryRandom
    Options
    One-Eye said:
    Searching "seed" with Author "ArbitraryRandom"

The second result is:

Click on where it says "11 results" and on page 2 you can see

The post doesn't seem to be invisible to search, you can go straight there using search terms like "melothria" and  "waltham butternut"
    The problem isn't that it's invisible - more that every time I do the search the results are different (so unspecific, unreliable and inefficient). For example, doing the exact same search as you now (searching "seed" and my name) gives 10 results for the same thread:

And if I click on the 10 results, it CHANGES to 16 results, the results include posts from a whole host of different people who aren't me... and most importantly - DOES NOT - include that particular post... 

Obviously the post exists and can be found - but not reliably or easily... 

• BootsMullery
    edited 25 April at 10:43PM
    Options
    When I search for "melothria" or "waltham butternut", with or without author name, I get "No results found".

When I now search for "seed" with Author "ArbitraryRandom" I get 5 results, In "newest first" order. the 1st result is:

Comment by ArbitraryRandom Last Updated: Apr 16, 2024 Home › Gardening 2 results
    And well spotted :)   I've just checked my seed packet and it's Silene Inflata (Bladder Campion). I got mine from Chiltern Seeds and only sowed it recently (not germinated as yet)....

Clicking on "2 results" does not bring up the post in question, just the latest post on the thread containing the word "seed" (posted by Lessimpecunious) plus the most recent post by the Author that mentions "seed"

ETA: While writing this post, an additional post has started to appear in the initial search results and there are now 6. I don't know which the new one is but there is nothing there that shouldn't have been in the original search.

EETA: Now gone up to 7 results.

Does seem somewhat inconsistent. 
    Bob
  • BootsMullery
    Options
    Much better results today. Searching for Melothria and waltham butternut did go straight to the required post.

Searching for seed and adding ArbitraryRandom as a filter gave 11 results. Third result was the thread:-
    Comment by ArbitraryRandom Last Updated: Apr 16, 2024Home › Gardening 10 results 

Clicking on the 10 results link, brings up 16 posts in that thread that contain the word seed including the one required.
    Bob
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure