VirginMedia and moving house ?

Options
Hi all, i am in the luxurious position of having on my doorstep..

FTTP
BRSK
VM

Im out of contract with vodafone FTTC and they have hiked the price this month to £32 for upto 75Mb downstream

To be fair i dont need a bigger capacity then this, its the price thats the problem. That also includes a landline.

I can chop them off and get VM 264Mb volt for £26pm on an 18 month contract using the VM terminal to my home which is live.

Im just wondering though, ,,, if i moved house within the contract period to an area that isnt served by VM, what would happen?

Would they seek to serve me via ADSL/FTTC/FTTP?

Or would i just have to cancel and pay the remaining contract costs ??

Thanks all
Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..

Comments

• Billxx
    Billxx Posts: 227 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    If you can prove that your new address cannot be serviced by VM they will allow you to exit the contract without penalty.  I'd be careful if you are thinking of changing to VM, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Have a look at their customer forum.

Kind Regards,

Bill
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,121 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 April at 10:58AM
    Options
    As stated , move to a non VM area , if you can prove you live at the new address that VM don’t provide services at ( via your name on the utility bills ) then they apparently don’t charge early termination, but it begs the question how is that arranged, as you would already need to have moved and be in a while to have your name on a utility bill , so do VM charge ETC on the final bill , which you pay and then hope ( after a month or two ) they then refund the ETC part ?

I can’t see VM  delaying sending out their final bill to give you time to obtain a utility bill in your name at the new ( no VM access ) address , they will want paying ASAP , so there is a  risk of no refund or a big delay on getting that money back….personally if you are likely to move and the new address may not have VM access , I wouldn’t take the chance , the same with  to BRSK , perhaps someone that’s been through this scenario will post ( or do a search ) 

Both VM and BRSK wouldn’t use Openreach to provide your service, ultimately if you take a minimum term contract and move to an address they don’t serve, it’s you breaking the contract hence the ETC , VM were shamed into waiving ETC in some circumstances, BRSK will probably simply insist on you settling what you owe
  • C_Mababejive
    C_Mababejive Posts: 11,657 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Billxx said:
    If you can prove that your new address cannot be serviced by VM they will allow you to exit the contract without penalty.  I'd be careful if you are thinking of changing to VM, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.  Have a look at their customer forum.
    Noted. I feel that as long as your self install works and it all keeps working then you wont need CS. I wonder if other providers are any better? 

just checking it looks like VM are rated a few notches better than my current provider VOD with SKY being top.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback