PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renegotiate or pull out?

Options
2»

Comments

• Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Yes you do, my solicitor has confirmed that. 
  • TheJP
    TheJP Posts: 1,688 Forumite
    Options
    Scotbot said:
    Who are you responding to?
  • Scotbot
    Options
    TheJP said:
    Scotbot said:
    Who are you responding to?
    I was responding to the comment about building regs being required 
  • Scotbot
    Options
     I am concerned about the consumer unit being in the bathroom, the survey states it should be in a metal casing and it is a plastic model. I can't for the life of me work out where it is. Can anyone spot it??? Could it be behind the white rectangle near the ceiling??? In which case I can't bloody reach it!

Shower Room
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You don't need building regs sign off for a garage conversion unless it has sleeping accommodation. You do obviously need electric certs. etc. I asked my BC buddy as we were planning on something similar.
    You definitely need Building Regs if you are connecting to mains sewerage as my builder had to redo the link from the new extension WC to the existing sewerage before the BC inspector would pass it. There were no "habitable rooms" in the extension.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,690 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scotbot said:
     I am concerned about the consumer unit being in the bathroom, the survey states it should be in a metal casing and it is a plastic model. I can't for the life of me work out where it is. Can anyone spot it??? Could it be behind the white rectangle near the ceiling??? In which case I can't bloody reach it!

Shower Room
    Building regs were changed a few years ago requiring consumer units to be encased in metal rather than plastic. Cannot remember the year, but probably no later than 2019. I agree the white panel may be hiding the consumer unit
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,458 Forumite
    Options
    I am concerned about the consumer unit being in the bathroom, the survey states it should be in a metal casing and it is a plastic model

'New' regulations for new consumer units say they should be encased in metal, but there must be millions of buildings still with plastic ones that are perfectly safe. So this is a bit of a non issue compared to the other ones. 

• Scotbot
    Options
    I am concerned about the consumer unit being in the bathroom, the survey states it should be in a metal casing and it is a plastic model

'New' regulations for new consumer units say they should be encased in metal, but there must be millions of buildings still with plastic ones that are perfectly safe. So this is a bit of a non issue compared to the other ones. 

It's more of an issue that I can't reach it. But the biggest concern is no paperwork - no EICR certificate and that consumer unit has clearly been moved when the conversion was done 

Off to view another property on Wed. It is 15 k cheaper but reckon I will get it 20k cheaper and it has a better layout downstairs. Already viewed once. I doubt my vendor will come down in price 20k (4%)

• Scotbot
    edited 19 April at 8:16AM
    Options
    Thought I would update the thread in case anyone else has similar issues. Told EA I was pulling out. EA called back and said the reason for lack of electrical certificates is that the work was done by vendors father who is retired electrician. Vendor prepared to get regularisation certificate and electrical safety report.

So now deciding whether to carry on with sale.  No idea how long regularisation will take or whether it will be granted. Strongly suspect vendor has no idea what is involved as thet wre originally adamant that building control approval not needed. But nothing else to view and my buyer may lose their mortgage approval. 

Have since discovered there is a council website that allows one to check  whether planning permission has been granted or building approvals applied for. The house I viewed on Wednesday has had 2 storey conversion including garage conversion but no PP or building control approval applications.  Sigh....

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback