PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Renegotiate or pull out?

Options
Just  reading all the paperwork from the solicitor and there is no building regs certificate for the garage conversion. The conversion consists of a shower room, utility room and lounge.  Vendor assured me that had  the necessary paperwork but what they have is a certificate for bifold doors in the lounge.

Separately the survey highlighted the consumer unit is in the shower room and doesn't meet building regs(!) Vendor has declared various electrical installations including underfloor heating in the conversion but not provided safety certificates. Survey recommended extending central heating. 

This feels like a botch job. What would you do? Pull out or renegotiate?

Comments

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    When were the works done?
  • DayDreamerandGeneralWaster
    Options
    Re neg first. 
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,145 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    How much do you like the property? How much will rectification cost?  A poorly insulated garage conversion will cost you £'s in additional energy bills. What do intend to use the room for? 

Disappointing as it maybe. There's always another property to buy. Put your business head on and park the emotion. 
  • pjs493
    pjs493 Posts: 333 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unless you’re really in love with the property, or prepared to spend lots of money to rectify any potential problems, I’d personally pull out. Did they have planning permission granted for the conversion?
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    The work was done in 2019 under permitted development so planning permission isn't required but a completion certificate is.

I like the property but am not prepared to pay the offer price without the correct paperwork. I think rectifying the  issues will be 5 to 6 k depending on the electric issues but good point about insulation. 
  • Martyn_H
    Martyn_H Posts: 457 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder what else might be wrong with the house? 
  • Scotbot
    Scotbot Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Martyn_H said:
    I wonder what else might be wrong with the house? 
    Nothing according to the survey and it's only 25 yrs old. All the issues are with the conversion.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hoenir said:  A poorly insulated garage conversion will cost you £'s in additional energy bills.
    Electric UFH heating will just eat up the pounds. Extending a wet heating system could also be costly depending on where the pipes are currently (and the size). Perhaps budget £10K and be happy if the work for everything comes in at £6K.
    Did the surveyor give a valuation anywhere near the offer price ?

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need building regs sign off for a garage conversion unless it has sleeping accommodation. You do obviously need electric certs. etc. I asked my BC buddy as we were planning on something similar.
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,143 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You don't need building regs sign off for a garage conversion unless it has sleeping accommodation. 
    Hmm, I think the regs are a bit wider than that! I'd be expecting building regs for something which has been subdivided and now has a bathroom and a habitable room.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback