Scam help

Options
RhiBi
RhiBi Posts: 703 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 13 April at 5:07PM in Consumer rights
I’ve been really stupid and feel,like an idiot.  A friend was buy concert tickets from someone on Facebook.  She showed screenshots to my friend of the tickets and said the transfer would be done through ticketmaster.

The person was selling 4 tickets.  My friend wanted 2 and I said I’d have the other 2.  I sent my friend £310 to her account for her to complete the transaction.  Of course as soon as they had the money, we were blocked by this person.

She’s logged it as fraud with Revolut but not heard back.  I phoned Halifax as that was where I transferred the money from but they said there’s nothing they can do.

Are we likely to get the money back?  I can’t believe how stupid I was.
Virtual Sealed Pot No.07

Comments

• powerful_Rogue
    powerful_Rogue Posts: 7,533 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    RhiBi said:
    I’ve been really stupid and feel,like an idiot.  A friend was buy concert tickets from someone on Facebook.  She showed screenshots to my friend of the tickets and said the transfer would be done through ticketmaster.

The person was selling 4 tickets.  My friend wanted 2 and I said I’d have the other 2.  I sent my friend £310 to her account for her to complete the transaction.  Of course as soon as they had the money, we were blocked by this person.

She’s logged it as fraud with Revolut but not heard back.  I phoned Halifax as that was where I transferred the money from but they said there’s nothing they can do.

How did your friend send the money? As Bank Transfer?
    Sadly, I think it's unlikely you will see the money again.
    Report to Action Fraud.
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RhiBi said:

Halifax wouldn't do anything because you sent money to a friend.  It will be down to whatever Revolut might do for your friend.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,145 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    RhiBi said:
    A friend was buy concert tickets from someone on Facebook.  She showed screenshots to my friend of the tickets and said the transfer would be done through ticketmaster.
    Just to be clear, the 'purchase' went ahead as a straightforward bank transfer without any involvement from Ticketmaster, so there's no prospect of getting them interested?
  • RhiBi
    Options
    I’ve submitted it to action fraud.  Sadly I think you’re right when you say it’s unlikely we’ll see the money.
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • RhiBi
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    RhiBi said:
    A friend was buy concert tickets from someone on Facebook.  She showed screenshots to my friend of the tickets and said the transfer would be done through ticketmaster.
    Just to be clear, the 'purchase' went ahead as a straightforward bank transfer without any involvement from Ticketmaster, so there's no prospect of getting them interested?
    Yes that’s right.  She sent a screenshot of the ticketmaster transaction from when she purchased them which gave us some assurance.  They said that once they had the money they’d do the transfer.  As soon as they had the money we didn’t hear anymore from them so I don’t think anything was done on ticketmaster.
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • eskbanker
    Options
    RhiBi said:
    I’ve submitted it to action fraud.  Sadly I think you’re right when you say it’s unlikely we’ll see the money.
    In case you're unfamiliar with Action Fraud's processes, they don't actually investigate individual cases themselves but just take a broad oversight role:
    Please note: Action Fraud does not have investigation powers and is unable to assist with the recovery of funds.
    https://data.actionfraud.police.uk/cms/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/AF-service.pdf
  • RhiBi
    Options
    No I’m not familiar with them.  So what will they do about the report I submitted.
    Virtual Sealed Pot No.07
  • Aylesbury_Duck
    Aylesbury_Duck Posts: 14,035 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    RhiBi said:
    No I’m not familiar with them.  So what will they do about the report I submitted.
    Log it as part of their data collection.
  • eskbanker
    Options
    RhiBi said:
    It's all explained in the document I linked to, but realistically it'll go no further.
  • MP1995
    MP1995 Posts: 29 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Although it might take some time your friend will likely get their money back from their bank, you didn't mention your friends banks name? Some are better at just doing this than others,
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback