Sticking edges of curtain to wall for tidying it up and stopping light leakage?

Options
2»

Comments

• outtatune
    outtatune Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Attach a couple of small hooks to the wall either side, and sew small ribbons to the curtains to tie on to them.
    Basically tiebacks for the outer edge of the curtain rather than the inner edge.
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,941 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 13 April at 1:46PM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    I have timber facing the window reveals with a strip of architrave hiding the join with the plaster. In the past, have stuck a strip of velcro on the architrave using thumb tacks and stitched the other half of the velcro to the curtain. Worked OK, but pinpricks of light leaked through the stitch holes.
    You can self adhesive velcro strip, and it isn't very expensive. You'll only need 25mm wide stuff..
    This is actually for the living room I just have a sofa bed in there for when family/friends visit and due to it being at front of the flat the light comes in early even with blackout blinds.

In that case I'd say you might be overthinking things a bit.

Many people (me included) are perfectly ok sleeping in some light - most people don't need total darkness, so as long as the curtains themselves are reasonably thick, a crack of light round the edges wouldn't bother me.

And if it were me, if I'm sleeping on a sofa bed in the living room then I'd probably want to be up and dressed before the other inhabitants of the house were up anyway....
  • dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    I have timber facing the window reveals with a strip of architrave hiding the join with the plaster. In the past, have stuck a strip of velcro on the architrave using thumb tacks and stitched the other half of the velcro to the curtain. Worked OK, but pinpricks of light leaked through the stitch holes.
    You can self adhesive velcro strip, and it isn't very expensive. You'll only need 25mm wide stuff..
    This is actually for the living room I just have a sofa bed in there for when family/friends visit and due to it being at front of the flat the light comes in early even with blackout blinds.

Many people (me included) are perfectly ok sleeping in some light - most people don't need total darkness, so as long as the curtains themselves are reasonably thick, a crack of light round the edges wouldn't bother me.

And if it were me, if I'm sleeping on a sofa bed in the living room then I'd probably want to be up and dressed before the other inhabitants of the house were up anyway....

I am autistic so I like things to be a certain way and when have had guests in the past they tell me they wake when its light i.e 6am and struggle to get back to sleep.

Anyway update again, I put the sticky velcro one side on wall and other on curtain. and managed to get the side I always keep closed down by adding adhesive to masking tape that was attached one side to wall and another strip on curtain and the adhesive in middle.

The other side tried just putting velcro on wall and curtain, it stuck to wall ok for the most part but the part that attaches to the curtain just came off as if it wasn't sticky enough.

Tried adding masking tape under it and adhesive to the tape for extra strength and all that did was stick the tape to the velcro and the tape still came off the curtain.

Next step was go to town, originally was going to buy double sided tape but found this double sided sticky gel tape and put that under the velcro.

Same result the tape and velcro doesn't stay attached to the curtain.

At a loss at what to do next final idea is try regular double sided tape as found some in a drawer and add adhesive glue to that, don't want to attach adhesive direct to the curtain.
  • BarelySentientAI
    BarelySentientAI Posts: 576 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    FreeBear said:

I am autistic so I like things to be a certain way and when have had guests in the past they tell me they wake when its light i.e 6am and struggle to get back to sleep.

Anyway update again, I put the sticky velcro one side on wall and other on curtain. and managed to get the side I always keep closed down by adding adhesive to masking tape that was attached one side to wall and another strip on curtain and the adhesive in middle.

The other side tried just putting velcro on wall and curtain, it stuck to wall ok for the most part but the part that attaches to the curtain just came off as if it wasn't sticky enough.

Tried adding masking tape under it and adhesive to the tape for extra strength and all that did was stick the tape to the velcro and the tape still came off the curtain.

Next step was go to town, originally was going to buy double sided tape but found this double sided sticky gel tape and put that under the velcro.

At a loss at what to do next final idea is try regular double sided tape as found some in a drawer and add adhesive glue to that, don't want to attach adhesive direct to the curtain.
    Sew the velcro on.
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FreeBear said:

Sew the velcro on.
    Which is what I did - It helps to have a sewing machine, and run a seam of stitches up either side of the velcro tape.
    Not everyone has access to a sewing machine though. However, most towns will have a shop that can do alterations to clothing and the likes.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,426 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 April at 7:01AM
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    FreeBear said:

Sew the velcro on.
    Which is what I did - It helps to have a sewing machine, and run a seam of stitches up either side of the velcro tape.
    Not everyone has access to a sewing machine though. However, most towns will have a shop that can do alterations to clothing and the likes.

If you buy non sticky backed Velcro you can hand sew it on, although it's long winded. 
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,818 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    FreeBear said:

Sew the velcro on.

If you buy non sticky backed Velcro you can hand sew it on, although it's long winded. 
    You can also get an iron-on hemming tape (Wundaweb is one brand) - That might work, but who has an iron anyway.....

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 408 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thanks all, I haven't done much with curtains since, going to try 2 final things then give up, I will use masking tape again but better quality (the one I had before had no stickiness to it) if that doesn't work I will cut up the velcro into strips rather than 1 long piece to see if that is better i.e its not holding as much weight.

If that doesn't work I will just leave it and pin it to wall if guests arrive.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback