Sticking edges of curtain to wall for tidying it up and stopping light leakage?

Options
At my previous property in bedroom I had that foam mounting tape on each side of curtain to stop light leaking out the sides and it worked the only issue was when I moved I tried peeling it off and it was a mess with many pieces stuck on wall or curtains.

At my current property I have been doing DIY to pass the time when off work and wanted to do the same, my original plan was put masking tape and foam tape over it and this seemed to hold until first time I opened the curtains then the curtain came off the tape on each side so it wasn't sticky enough.

I decided to just risk it and one side I just peeled off the tape and put new stuff on and put it direct on wall yet it was same issue.

I don't know what else to do outside of putting velcro on the wall and that is more expensive.

Maybe put masking tape on and adhesive over it to give the foam tape more strength?

Comments

• p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,867 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    longer curtain pole and wider curtains ?
  • Bigphil1474
    Bigphil1474 Posts: 2,452 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    As above, you could put your curtains across outside the window recess so no light can get out (inside the house obviously) , or right up to the window inside the recess. Alternatively, you could try putting a blind up inside the curtains - we have that in our bedroom. Blind is fitted inside window recess, we use it in summer, and curtains go across the window outside the recess, which we use all year round. Another alternative is to get used to some light bleeding in. 
  • dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I already have blinds inside the recess, it's not just for light leaking but tidiness too as it just looks so much neater when corners are against the wall.

It's part of my declutter process to make my home look presentable.

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I have timber facing the window reveals with a strip of architrave hiding the join with the plaster. In the past, have stuck a strip of velcro on the architrave using thumb tacks and stitched the other half of the velcro to the curtain. Worked OK, but pinpricks of light leaked through the stitch holes.
    You can self adhesive velcro strip, and it isn't very expensive. You'll only need 25mm wide stuff..
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • juliedee4663
    juliedee4663 Posts: 257 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You can get curtain poles in Dunelm that curve round at the top so the curtain edges are against the wall, we have them in the bedroom and they are brilliant.
    https://www.dunelm.com/product/room-darkening-blackout-25-28mm-metal-extendable-curtain-pole-1000149687?defaultSkuId=30883323

• dekaspace1
    dekaspace1 Posts: 403 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    FreeBear said:
    I have timber facing the window reveals with a strip of architrave hiding the join with the plaster. In the past, have stuck a strip of velcro on the architrave using thumb tacks and stitched the other half of the velcro to the curtain. Worked OK, but pinpricks of light leaked through the stitch holes.
    You can self adhesive velcro strip, and it isn't very expensive. You'll only need 25mm wide stuff..

I actually have some of that, that was how I put blackout sheets in bedroom.

This is actually for the living room I just have a sofa bed in there for when family/friends visit and due to it being at front of the flat the light comes in early even with blackout blinds.

I just thought a roll of foam tape costing £1 is more cost effective plus if I ever want to wash the curtains I don't have to worry about the velcro being messed up.
  • subjecttocontract
    subjecttocontract Posts: 1,910 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Velcro ???????
  • Murmansk
    Murmansk Posts: 933 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Drawing pins!
  • twopenny
    twopenny Posts: 5,591 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 12 April at 8:48PM
    Options
    Double pieces of self adhesive velchro should be only £3-4 
    Whatever you use is going to leave a mess of the paint.

Double sided tape will be most efficient and neatest.

viral kindness .....kindness is contageous pass it on

The only normal people you know are the ones you don’t know very well

• FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,668 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    dekaspace1 said: I just thought a roll of foam tape costing £1 is more cost effective plus if I ever want to wash the curtains I don't have to worry about the velcro being messed up.
    Velcro can be washed without any detrimental effects. I'd use the fluffy side (loops) on the curtains, and the rough side (hooks) on the architrave. If the velcro does get messed up, it is easy enough to sew/stick another length on.

Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback