partially disclaiming a gift in a will

Options
I'm in the process of dealing with my late father's estate which contains a house, money in banks and investment funds. In addition to my father's NRB and RNRB all of my late mother's NRB and RNRB are available so there are no IHT liabilities. My father's Will gifts all of his residual estate (basically everything) to myself  but as accepting it will create potential major IHT issues for myself in the future I am minded to disclaim my inheritance so that, in accordance with the Will, the estate will pass equally to my two children who would have inherited should I have predeceased my father.

However, there are one or two items in the estate that have some sentimental, family history and a moderate financial value that I would like to keep. I know that, in general, the law only allows me to disclaim the 'whole' of a gift rather than a part of it. As the gift to myself in the will is the 'residual estate' (basically everything) if I want to keep the one or two of the items I referred to above and pass the remainder (basically 95% of the estate) to my children I suspect I'd normally have to go along the route of a 'deed of variation' rather than a waiver of the gift.

However:

My father's Will has a Partial disclaimer clause  which states:  "Any person who is beneficiary to property or an interest in property under this my Will or any Codicil to it shall be as free to disclaim a part or parts of that property as he is to disclaim the whole and in the event of any such disclaimer (whether partial or complete) the property (or the interest in property) which is disclaimed shall devolve as if the person disclaiming had predeceased me"

Does this mean that I am therefore able to go along the route of writing a disclaimer for the 95% of the assets I don't want and just accepting the  few items that I do or is it still preferable to go along the route of a 'deed of variation' to the Will? 

I will no doubt be seeking some professional help with estate to distribute the house in the correct way but before I do it would be interesting to get some considered opinion about whether the partial disclaimer of the inheritance would be a viable route (based on the Partial disclaimer clause in the Will) or whether a 'deed of variation " is required.

Comments

• Marcon
    Marcon Posts: 10,724 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    brabazon1 said:
    I'm in the process of dealing with my late father's estate which contains a house, money in banks and investment funds. In addition to my father's NRB and RNRB all of my late mother's NRB and RNRB are available so there are no IHT liabilities. My father's Will gifts all of his residual estate (basically everything) to myself  but as accepting it will create potential major IHT issues for myself in the future I am minded to disclaim my inheritance so that, in accordance with the Will, the estate will pass equally to my two children who would have inherited should I have predeceased my father.

However, there are one or two items in the estate that have some sentimental, family history and a moderate financial value that I would like to keep. I know that, in general, the law only allows me to disclaim the 'whole' of a gift rather than a part of it. As the gift to myself in the will is the 'residual estate' (basically everything) if I want to keep the one or two of the items I referred to above and pass the remainder (basically 95% of the estate) to my children I suspect I'd normally have to go along the route of a 'deed of variation' rather than a waiver of the gift.

However:

My father's Will has a Partial disclaimer clause  which states:  "Any person who is beneficiary to property or an interest in property under this my Will or any Codicil to it shall be as free to disclaim a part or parts of that property as he is to disclaim the whole and in the event of any such disclaimer (whether partial or complete) the property (or the interest in property) which is disclaimed shall devolve as if the person disclaiming had predeceased me"

Does this mean that I am therefore able to go along the route of writing a disclaimer for the 95% of the assets I don't want and just accepting the  few items that I do or is it still preferable to go along the route of a 'deed of variation' to the Will? 

I will no doubt be seeking some professional help with estate to distribute the house in the correct way but before I do it would be interesting to get some considered opinion about whether the partial disclaimer of the inheritance would be a viable route (based on the Partial disclaimer clause in the Will) or whether a 'deed of variation " is required.
    See https://www.thegazette.co.uk/wills-and-probate/content/101535
    Googling on your question might have been both quicker and easier, if you're only after simple facts rather than opinions!  
  • Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,661 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 11 April at 10:30AM
    Options
    What makes you think it has to be all or nothing? You can make a deed of variation passing all or part of your inheritance to your children. 

• RAS
    RAS Posts: 32,689 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Just make sure that you do it within 2 years of the date of death.
    The person who has not made a mistake, has made nothing
  • poseidon1
    poseidon1 Posts: 160 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There is a big difference between disclaimers of entitlements under a will and deed of variation to expressly redirect one's entitlements. OP definitely requires deed of variation to achieve his objectives so needs legal advice for the appropriate drafting of the necessary  deed.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,657 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    brabazon1 said:

There are no IHT issues for you in the future, it may create IHT issues for the beneficiaries of your estate when you pass. But even then there are 2 important issues to consider. Firstly the value of your estate could easily diminish for several reasons. Secondly IHT thresholds and rates will undoubtedly change 
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 46,991 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Why are you less interested in doing a deed of variation than a disclaimer?
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback