Solar panels on a housing association home.

Options
mikewoody
mikewoody Posts: 11 Newbie
First Post
I moved in to a housing association house over a year ago.  And this home has solar panels with the fuse box for the panels in the house.   But I never seem to get any payments for the panels my direct debit is now £240 a month and I live in my own and on universal credit and pip.  I now have to rent out a room just to survive.   British Gas say I need to own the panels.   I’m confused who is getting the payments for the solar panels.   Is it the housing association or should I be getting it

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 10 April at 2:40PM
    Options
    Unless you know more, the owner of the roof, [Housing association] normally gets the money. 
    Presumably if other houses have the same set-up this money goes into the HO coffers to help with whatever they spend money on, like repairs & maintenance

You could ask the association fro clarication where money goes.
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,864 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    mikewoody said:
    I moved in to a housing association house over a year ago.  And this home has solar panels with the fuse box for the panels in the house.   But I never seem to get any payments for the panels my direct debit is now £240 a month and I live in my own and on universal credit and pip.  I now have to rent out a room just to survive.   British Gas say I need to own the panels.   I’m confused who is getting the payments for the solar panels.   Is it the housing association or should I be getting it
     The owner ie the housing association will get the feed in payment not you. But are you making the most of your panels by doing heavy electricity use during the day. 
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    mikewoody said:
     The owner ie the housing association will get the feed in payment not you. But are you making the most of your panels by doing heavy electricity use during the day. 
    I don’t understand how they work.  My electricity bill is so high and all I do is watch tv cook and use my lights.   This is driving me nuts
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options
    I have spoken to British Gas and that was stressful they say my panels are not registered with anyone.   I have all the certs and a handover letter. Saying hand over to the home owner.   But the panels are not registered anywhere
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options
    marcia_ said:
    mikewoody said:
    What do you mean by that.  
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,908 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Anything the panels generate can be either used by you or goes back to the grid so you need to do the washing when the sun is shining.
    How many kWh do you use ?  
    How is your property heated / hot water heated ?
    Do you have a separate meter for the panels ?
    Have you asked the HA about the panels ?
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options

I think this is the meter for the solar panels. 
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options
    Between 1st April and 8th April. I used 50kwh
    and use gas central heating. 

I have asked they said they don’t know they will get back to me.  
  • mikewoody
    First Post
    Options
    Meter reading history

• housebuyer143
    housebuyer143 Posts: 3,357 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 April at 6:01PM
    Options
    You don't get the money back as you don't own the panels but you benefit from the free electricity generated by it. I don't imagine you have a battery so you need to do all you electrical intensive stuff when it's sunny, which over winter and this terrible autumn isn't really possible. People I know who buy the panels always buy a battery so they can store the electric to make use of the panels at night etc.

That's not a meter but looks like a isolation switch for the panels so they can be turned off.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback