No wifi on Samsung tablet

Options
meg00
meg00 Posts: 216 Forumite
First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
I can no longer get wifi access on my tablet. I have tried resetting the BT router and switching the airplane mode on/off. But the problem persists. There is an exclamation mark appearing next to the wifi icon, but I keep getting a "failed to obtain the IP address" message.
Any advice?
Meg.

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Are other devices able to connect to the router Wi-Fi?

Power the tablet off/on?
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I presume your broadband is working given that you have posted this question on here.

Or have you used your mobile phone connection? 
  • meg00
    meg00 Posts: 216 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Broadband is working, posting from PC, laptop is working.
    I have reentered the wifi password many times, still doesn't work.
    I have no idea what play store is....
    Meg.
  • flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,604 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Try "forgetting" the BT router from the list of available Wi-Fi networks on the tablet. Then try reconnecting.
  • la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,872 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    meg00 said:
    Broadband is working, posting from PC, laptop is working.
    I have reentered the wifi password many times, still doesn't work.
    I have no idea what play store is....
    Meg.
    The app on your tablet you download apps from. You may know it as Google Play Store. 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    Go into your tablet Wi-Fi settings and check the password to the router has access if not enter the WiFi password on the back of your router it also maybe the app on the tablet no longer compatible with the device check for updates in play store, with 5G coming in lots of fairly new tech is being locked out. 
    5G has absolutely nothing to do with WiFi on a tablet.

@meg00 either you are using the wrong password, inputting it incorrectly or the WiFi adapter in your tablet has failed.

If your tablet can "see" the WiFi SSID (name) correctly, then make sure you are inputting the WiFi password and not the router access password, both will be on there somewhere.

The password will be case sensitive.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    Go into your tablet Wi-Fi settings and check the password to the router has access if not enter the WiFi password on the back of your router it also maybe the app on the tablet no longer compatible with the device check for updates in play store, with 5G coming in lots of fairly new tech is being locked out. 
    Eh? How does 5g coming in (it's already here by the way) lock out fairly new tech?

If you are talking about 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz then you can simply switch between the two

If you're talking about 5g the network that wouldn't affect anything 
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,065 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    @TimeLord1 you are muddying the waters.

This issue has nothing to do with 5G or apps on the device, it is the WiFi connection which does not depend on either.

Newer apps may not work on an older Android or Apple OS, but this is not the issue here.
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 678 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    Referring to apps being compatible with devices. I have seen BT make certain devices incompatible with newer app versions. (No longer compatible with this device)
    How is this helping the op?

You are suggesting that (and I will use a car as an analogy) if the engine won't start you should start by seeing if the tires are flat! I.e. looking in the wrong place entirely 
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    TimeLord1 said:
    Referring to apps being compatible with devices. I have seen BT make certain devices incompatible with newer app versions. (No longer compatible with this device)
    Are you sure? Maybe you could provide a few examples of this because I've never come across anything so strange. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback