Non-Refundable Flight HELP

Options
As part of a hen do, I had booked a return flight LGW-BCN. Unfortunately the cost of the hen do has spiralled and I have decided I can't afford to go. I booked my flight with Vueling, without a flexible package that would allow me to cancel the booking. I can change the name on the flight and have started looking at a way of 'selling' the tickets. Does anyone know if I buy insurance now, that I'd have any chance at getting a refund? I have looked at cancelling and getting 'vueling credit' but I live in Newcastle and Vueling don't fly from here, the nearest airports are Manchester or Edinburgh, neither very practical. 

Comments

• SiliconChip
    SiliconChip Posts: 1,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Your insurance plan is a non-starter: 1) it wouldn't cover things that have already happened, and 2) change of mind isn't a valid claim reason anyway. And of course you should have bought insurance as soon as you started to book any part of the trip, not that it would have helped in this particular case.
    If you're allowed a name change and you can find someone who wants to make the exact same journeys then that's the only way you'll get part of the money back - make sure that the cost to change the name and the discount you'll have to offer to the buyer doesn't exceed what you've already paid out.
  • Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    Edinburgh is a lot closer than Gatwick, your original planned departure point !

The only two options are a name change for a price or taking the credit.

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    You could still go to Barcelona and do your own thing there. That would be worthwhile.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Go to the bookies and ask them to take a bet on the race that was run yesterday... that is what you are proposing with the idea of buying insurance now.

Even if you had bought the insurance before the event cancellation is only covered in certain circumstances like illness, involuntary redundancy etc not because of change of mind or budgeting issues. 
  • MsMoon
    MsMoon Posts: 97 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could still go to Barcelona and do your own thing there. That would be worthwhile.

Just had an image of her dodging the other hens, hiding behind monuments in shades etc! :D
  • silvercar
    silvercar Posts: 47,053 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    If you cancel, you should be able to get your taxes back.

Everything else depends on the ticket. Check if you can change the name or the date.
    I'm a Forum Ambassador on The Coronavirus Boards as well as the housing, mortgages and student money saving boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Forum Ambassadors are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
  • SacredWolf
    SacredWolf Posts: 7 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can't really afford to get to gatwick, pay parking and for a hotel. it's quite a drive to gatwick from newcastle and the flight gets in at 8pm at night on sunday :( 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,732 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I can't really afford to get to gatwick, pay parking and for a hotel. it's quite a drive to gatwick from newcastle and the flight gets in at 8pm at night on sunday :( 
    So what have you decided to do with the ticket?

Totally off-topic, but I really don't like these expensive hen/stag dos and weddings abroad..
    Puts people under pressure to spend money they may not be able to afford - especially when they may also have to buy an outfit for the wedding and possibly a wedding gift.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    But surely none of that has changed since you decided to fly from Gatwick (not that this affects the answer to the primary question of whether you're entitled to a refund)?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    No need to pay for parking: there is a railway station in the airport. Book your trains in advance and you will find it all very affordable.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback