Own car hire or their taxi service..pros and cons

Options
Hi all
We have booked to go to Greece next month.
The place where we are staying has offered a taxi service for 39 euros each way but I've managed to find car hire for £55 for the whole time we are over there.
I've heard that car hire places try tricks to get you to pay for more cover than you need etc.
 The journey from the airport to our place will only be 17 minutes and we are going self catering so I'm undecided whether it would be nice/convenient to have our own car even if we don't use it much.
Hope this makes sense and would appreciate some advice please

Kind regards Mark 

Comments

• Keep_pedalling
    Keep_pedalling Posts: 16,651 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    What is the name of this stupidly cheap car hire firm?
  • Giraffe76
    Giraffe76 Posts: 168 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    What is the name of this stupidly cheap car hire firm?
    Travel supermarket was just a few pounds cheaper than auto Europe. Theres also possibly Avis and enterprise but I haven't got round to looking on their sites yet
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Giraffe76 said:
    The place where we are staying has offered a taxi service for 39 euros each way but I've managed to find car hire for £55 for the whole time we are over there.
    Bear in mind that it's not as simple as just a cost comparison of £67 (€78) versus £55, as there'd be fuel costs, not necessarily hugely significant even if full-to-full, and there's also the potential amount of time queueing at car hire offices, etc.  And, as hinted above, consider why the car hire is so cheap....
  • eDicky
    eDicky Posts: 6,576 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    It does indeed make sense to consider car hire compared to taxis fare in many situations. But you are looking at comparison sites for the cheapest rental - who are the actual hire firms with these prices and what is the location?
    Evolution, not revolution
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Where in Greece are you visiting?
    Will you use a car while you’re there?

• Giraffe76
    Options
    badger09 said:

We are visiting a greek island in the trapezaki area of it. We are going self catering and just want to sit by the pool but obviously will need to go to a local supermarket to get food
  • Giraffe76
    Options
    badger09 said:

We are visiting a greek island in the trapezaki area of it. We are going self catering and just want to sit by the pool but obviously will need to go to a local supermarket to get food
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,221 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Giraffe76 said:
    badger09 said:

So you’re going to Kefalonia? Lovely island though we haven’t been back for many years. The roads are decent and there are plenty of places worth visiting by car without having to spend all day driving. But if you just want to lie by pool, there’s probably no point having a car. Depending on how long you’re there for, I’d be very wary of a car hire costing less than a return airport trip. 
    If you decide on taxi, we’ve used Welcome Pickups several times in Greece & found them reasonable & very reliable. I’ve just done a ‘dummy’ quote & it’s suggesting 34Euro from airport to Trapezaki. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback