Spotify to hike prices by up to £24 a year – here's what's happening

Options
MSE_Molly_G
MSE_Molly_G Posts: 91 MSE Staff
First Post Name Dropper
Music streaming service Spotify has announced it's hiking the prices on most of its paid plans by up to £2 a month (£24 a year). Below we explain who's affected, when you'll see the changes and how to cut costs – whether you want to stick with Spotify or not.

Read the full story:

If you haven't already, join the forum to reply.

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,746 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Music streaming service Spotify has announced it's hiking the prices on most of its paid plans by up to £2 a month (£24 a year). Below we explain who's affected, when you'll see the changes and how to cut costs – whether you want to stick with Spotify or not.

Read the full story:

One has to consider if using deliberately emotive language like "hike" is responsible reporting and journalism, or if it is used to fan the flames of irrational public anger and generate clicks.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    With CD's costing between £10 and £15 a pop it's still cost effective...I downloaded 11 albums last month not to mention the many individual tunes I selected and it would mount up to have that access.
    If you did it the vinyl route it would cost you around double to triple the CD costs.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • Browntoa
    Browntoa Posts: 49,313 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've started to make use of SoundCloud, plenty of classic tracks and some new fresh talent, all free
    Ex forum ambassador

Long term forum member
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options

Read the full story:

An 8% increase hardly a "hike"

Shame on mse for generating click bait thought you would be better than this....
  • nyermen
    nyermen Posts: 1,094 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 10 April at 11:52AM
    Options
    Isnt it more than 8% (rise on the old price)?    9% for individual, 13% for duo, 11% for family?
    And since its been less than a year, higher annualised % rise.

Is it going to artists or profits I wonder (I dont know how the royalties work etc, have to admit, i know its been controversial and possibly unfair to them) 
    Peter

Debt free - finally finished paying off £20k + Interest.
  • Neil49
    Neil49 Posts: 3,095 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Tidal are bringing their prices down!

I think Spotify are still trying to recoup their losses from the Harry and Meghan debacle. 
  • cerebus
    cerebus Posts: 677 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    nyermen said:
    Isnt it more than 8% (rise on the old price)?    9% for individual, 13% for duo, 11% for family?
    And since its been less than a year, higher annualised % rise.

Is it going to artists or profits I wonder (I dont know how the royalties work etc, have to admit, i know its been controversial and possibly unfair to them) 
    You're right about the 9% increase (did the math in my head oopps)

No idea about the rest I don't click on click bait 
  • Londonbloke456
    Options
    I'm a current individual premium Spotify subscriber. I just bought the £99 Amazon gift card. I tried to redeem it on my Spotify account and Spotify blocked the redemption. Stating I can't combine my current subscription with the premium code.
  • booneruk
    booneruk Posts: 322 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I'm a current individual premium Spotify subscriber. I just bought the £99 Amazon gift card. I tried to redeem it on my Spotify account and Spotify blocked the redemption. Stating I can't combine my current subscription with the premium code.
    Interesting! I've done the same. My premium sub ends this time next month, I'm hoping post-expiry I can apply the gift card without any trouble. 

I guess if it comes to it I'll set up a new account and lose access to my playlists etc.
  • Swipe
    Swipe Posts: 5,103 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've cancelled my Spotify on this news and signed up to Tidal who coincidentally has just launched lossless streaming today for the old Spotify price
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback