Debit card chargeback for failed freight delivery

Options
Hi, I used my bank card to pay for a freight forwarder in dubai to deliver a personal shipment around 70kg.
Well, I don't know what happened with the paperwork, but customs refused to let it through, and the shipment has been sent back to the freight forwarder. Now I have to get a relative to collect from the forwarder and ship it to me again.
The freight forwarder is saying it isn't their fault customs refused to let it through.
I paid via a link with my barclays visa debit card.
The payment for clearance through dubai airport (the shipment was coming from Africa), shipping to the UK, and clearance through UK customs.
What are the chances I will get a full refund if I have not got my shipment delivered?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,130 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 April at 12:52PM
    Options
    None at all . The correct paperwork is the responsibility of the shipper. 
  • Dummie79
    Dummie79 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    The shipper is the freight company in this case. They were doing all the paperwork on my behalf. That's what they get paid for.
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 9 April at 1:27PM
    Options
    Dummie79 said:
    Hoenir said:
    The shipper is the freight company in this case. They were doing all the paperwork on my behalf. That's what they get paid for.
    The originating shipper was in Africa. Whoever packaged the goods up. Completed and signed the customs declarations. 
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    Dummie79 said:
    Hoenir said:
    The originating shipper was in Africa. Whoever packaged the goods up. Completed and signed the customs declarations. 
    Depends, the firm I work for, we provide the commercial invoices to our warehouse in Europe so it's my responsibility if it's wrong. We provide them on shipping out too and to our colleagues in another country where our IT kit comes from. If the Dubai firm organised the shipment (as a freight forwarder) and provided the documentation, they are at fault.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,516 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    As Dummie79 said:
    Hi, I used my bank card to pay for a freight forwarder in dubai to deliver a personal shipment around 70kg.
    Well, I don't know what happened with the paperwork, but customs refused to let it through, and the shipment has been sent back to the freight forwarder. Now I have to get a relative to collect from the forwarder and ship it to me again.
    The freight forwarder is saying it isn't their fault customs refused to let it through.
    The payment for clearance through dubai airport (the shipment was coming from Africa), shipping to the UK, and clearance through UK customs.
    What are the chances I will get a full refund if I have not got my shipment delivered?

Don't think you have much of a case. A forwarder will say they did as asked Y& it was not their fault customs stopped & returned package.
    What was the reason given for customs rejection?
    Life in the slow lane
  • Dummie79
    Dummie79 Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Papeborn_again said:
    As Dummie79 said:

Don't think you have much of a case. A forwarder will say they did as asked Y& it was not their fault customs stopped & returned package.
    born_again said:
    As Dummie79 said:

Paperwork and the item is prohibited. 
    The freight forwarder told me there is no issue with this item getting past customs.

• Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,859 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April at 3:34PM
    Options
    Your argument would be with the forwarder and what they did, or didn't do, how it was declared etc. If they provided the commercial invoice and it was wrong and that was what caused it to be held and rejected, you might have a case - you'd have to see the invoice and know the reason customs held it. If they simply arranged shipment and the sender made the mistake on the forms, that's not their fault.

When I send internationally, if there are queries on paperwork, the shipper contacts me and asks for clarification e.g. reason for import. HS codes, who is paying tax etc or for destination, if there is an address issue etc. Customs agents for the shippers are the ones who normally contact me (e.g. UPS or FedEx), I don't deal directly with US or EU customs - so did the freight forwarded speak to customs and clarify why it was not approved? Did they ignore it? Again that might be a complaint reason

Your last post is hard to understand without formatting but if you tried to ship something prohibited (either country won't let it through or didn't have the right approvals) - that would be a question for what you declared and what they did and what the item is. As an example, dangerous goods can be fine with appropriate qualifications and approvals but without them, it will be an instant rejection; or say you were importing ivory, the customs may refuse to clear it as the import is banned.
  • Hoenir
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Dummie79 said:

Paperwork and the item is prohibited. 
    The freight forwarder told me there is no issue with this item getting past customs.

Sounds as if there's far more to this tale than is being told. Might not be a sensible idea to attempt to ship the same prohibited item into the UK again. 
  • springboot
    springboot Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Unfortunately, the chances of getting a full refund might be uncertain. Since customs refusal isn't directly the fault of the freight forwarder, they may not be liable for a refund. However, it's worth reaching out to both the freight forwarder and your bank, Barclays, to explain the situation. They might offer some assistance or guidance on potential reimbursement options. You should check the terms and conditions of your payment method for any buyer protections or dispute resolution processes that could apply in this situation.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback