British Gas Rip off

Options
Richard_Borley
Richard_Borley Posts: 1 Newbie
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 April at 2:30PM in Energy
I had an email from British Gas in March asking me to submit my 1st Quarter meter readings on April 1st. I did exactly as requested and the readings were uploaded and visible in the 'my account' section when i logged on to their website. This morning I got a bill from them using an 'estimated' reading which was for nearly double my usage for gas and electricity for the quarter. British Gas must think we are all stupid, as the price cap reduces they try and bring future usage in to the previous quarter. I rang them immediately, raised a complaint, got them to reduce my direct debit by 50% and told them that unless they offer me large enough compensation for my time and stress at thinking I had used so much power over the winter I would be going to OFGEM.
They really are a bunch of crooks.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,084 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 9 April at 1:13PM
    Options
    Just ask them to rebill on the correct readings.

Changing your DD does not do anything regarding the incorrect bill.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,558 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    This morning I got a bill from them using an 'estimated' reading which was for nearly double my usage for gas and electricity for the quarter. British Gas must think we are all stupid, as the price cap reduces they try and bring future usage in to the previous quarter.
    Quarter 1 turned out mild for most people.  Their modelling won't be on it being that mild.  They are not stupid.   Estimates are just that.

I rang them immediately, raised a complaint, got them to reduce my direct debit by 50% and told them that unless they offer me large enough compensation for my time and stress at thinking I had used so much power over the winter I would be going to OFGEM.
    Are you always so angry and aggressive about simple things like that?

They really are a bunch of crooks.
    No they are not.   Try and remain calm and level headed.

I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,048 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 9 April at 9:35PM
    Options
    Customers don't/can't 'go to OFGEM', they go to the Energy Ombudsman (after eight weeks have passed since a problem was reported and you get a deadlock letter).
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback