New Bank Account without 3 years address history

Options
Hi all,
           I'm trying to open a new bank savings account as I'm getting close to the FSCS protection limit. Without going into a long story, I have only 1.5 years address history and am finding it very difficult to open a new account, online anyway.
Anyone know of a safe bank/building society that does not need 3 years address history ?

Regards.

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Pretty much all will, as they will ask for previous address & time there.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,087 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Working on the assumption that you are at least a couple of decades old you will have an address history.  It might be out of this country or it might be someplace you don't want to be reminded of.  The first is easy to support with your passport which presumably you have and the second will likely be obvious on your credit history.  It's not like a job application where you might have to explain why you moved from there to here.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • friolento
    friolento Posts: 1,173 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    which provider is asking for 3 years address history for a savings account?
  • Actonian
    Actonian Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, sorry I'm after a current account.  
    Also I've only got 1.5 years address history of the last 3 years, not 1.5 in total.
  • JamesRobinson48
    JamesRobinson48 Posts: 247 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Have you tried the Santander Basic Current Account?  There's indications on the respective company's web pages, and also on MSE's pages about basic bank accounts, that for this particular account Santander might be unusually flexible, e.g. even to the extent of considering the individual circumstances of a person who is currently homeless (which I know is not your case).  You might consider calling into a Santander branch to see if they can help.  Granted, a basic bank account has limited functionality, but (from the limited info that you've disclosed) it might be a start.  Many on here bank with Santander, so I assume it's considered safe and has a decent reputation.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,098 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Actonian said:
    I'm trying to open a new bank savings account as I'm getting close to the FSCS protection limit.          
    Actonian said:
    Thanks for your replies, sorry I'm after a current account.
    If the reason for trying to open a new account is to subdivide savings to reflect the £85K FSCS limit, surely it's a new savings account you need?  An additional current account wouldn't seem an obvious place to deposit significant balances and is likely to be harder to acquire, as a product necessitating a credit check....
  • Cisco001
    Cisco001 Posts: 4,019 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    You could open a saving account with other bank and make your current bank account as nominate account...

Anyway, you could try Lloyds if you need current account. 
    I personally always has more than 1 current account due to potential risk of IT breakdown.
  • PRAISETHESUN
    PRAISETHESUN Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 11 April at 1:38PM
    Options
    When I moved to the UK I had this issue, but most banks were happy to accept foreign address history as part of the required 3 years. The issue mainly was actually that their online forms weren't set up to accommodate non-UK addresses, not necessarily that they wouldn't accept me without 3 years UK address history. Making an appointment and sorting it in branch was the easiest solution for me.

My first UK account was with Santander so they definitely were okay for me. Otherwise the digital banks are worth a shot these days too. Not sure if it is still the case, but when I opened accounts with Monzo and Starling, all they wanted was a UK post address to send documents/cards to, not to verify address history.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback