2 months in new property and still not switched to Octopus

Options
Fairychild
Fairychild Posts: 8 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I moved into a new property and moved my existing supplier Octopus with.However the previous owner was with EON.next. They marked their final day a couple of days early and I did one day late. So I had to switch to EON Next for 3 days and then was suppose to switch to Octopus. However the switch to Octopus never happened. I am stuck and the meter readings on EON next doesn't even match the meter reading I see.
Octopus is so slow to respond and seem to just be ignoring the problem. It is now 2 months and I have not had a bill. I think there is a meter and a sub meter in the property, very confusing. 
I have had to be the one communicating between EON next and Octopus and then sending messages on to Octopus. The last was from EON next and they said Octopus raised the final meter reading request incorrectly and they are still waiting to hear from Octopus.

EON next has been far more responsive than Octopus. Let this be a warning for everyone. Octopus responds very slowly and if you email then and they ask for you full name, then your response goes back to the bottom of the queue (ridiculous system!) and it takes another 5 days or more for them to answer. Just 3 or 4 messages can take a month.

I have even tried to switch from Octopus in this time but they cancelled the switch.

I have now tried twitter, so hopefully the response there will be quicker. Being in a new property and not knowing what my energy bill is monthly is very unsettling.

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    There’s not going be a huge difference between the tariffs so you could make a fairly good estimate of the bill from your own readings if it’s worrying you that much. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fairychild
    edited 9 April at 8:23AM
    Options
    elsien said:
    There’s not going be a huge difference between the tariffs so you could make a fairly good estimate of the bill from your own readings if it’s worrying you that much. 
    Thank you, I have done that until I logged into EON next and saw that they are looking at a different meter - there is 3 in the property, for some unexplained reason, two that seems active and recording.

I had a smart meter at my previous property so I am used to having my finger on the pulse, so this is unsettling. And we have moved from renting a flat to owning a house and need to manage a tight budget.
  • Fairychild
    Options
    Response from Octopus twitter  below, and this is part of the problem. I have some one who works part time or are on holiday, on my account. 

With EON Next I noticed that different people pick up the same ticket. Much better system in my opinion as it get answered quickly.

If anything I do hope Octopus sees all the recent complaints and change their ticketing system.

I'll be happy if I do get an update in 72 hours! 
    Thank you for getting in touch I have reviewed your case and can see there is currently a dispute put in place for your account and the switch is being cancelled. I've reached out to my colleague ---- who is handling your complaint, once they are back to work on the 10th April they will re review your case further. If you have any further question, could you please respond back to your email, it is important to keep all correspondence in one place so that your case is handled as quickly and efficiently as possible. You will receive an update within 72 hours. All the best  

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,798 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 9 April at 9:19PM
    Options
    I’m not sure that having different people is necessarily any better.

We had any number of people replying from Eonnext and they just kept asking the same questions repeatedly and then failing to do anything. The first one hadn’t even logged the email despite it being a formal complaint. 

Maybe it’s just the luck of the draw. 
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • Fairychild
    Options
    Maybe it’s just the luck of the draw. 
    Does seem to be the case  :smile:
  • macman
    macman Posts: 53,098 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Never try to migrate before you actually move in, as this is the result. You are not 'moving your existing supplier with you': you start a new account with the new supplier (same or different) at the new property, but only once you have registered with the deemed supplier.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop ;)
  • Fairychild
    Options
    macman said:
    Never try to migrate before you actually move in, as this is the result. You are not 'moving your existing supplier with you': you start a new account with the new supplier (same or different) at the new property, but only once you have registered with the deemed supplier.
    So true! Lesson learned on that one, won't make the mistake again.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback