switching back to unmetered water bills

Options
My daughter has had 2 children since having their water meter fitted more than 2 years ago and feels it may be cheaper for them to go back to unmetered water bills. Does anyone know if you can request this after the 2 year 'cooling off' period?

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 April at 3:53PM
    Options
    Water supplies are finite. Companies at a local level are choosing to install meters as part of the drive to use what's available more efficiently. 
  • Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,316 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd say no water company will "uninstall" a meter.  What they might do is if there is a need for an excessive amount of water due to some disability or similar they will ignore the reading and base the bill on a lower standard use.  Usually this is possible if someone in the household is claiming some disability allowance.  Additionally generally water companies are the most helpful ones to deal with if the bills appear to be getting out of hand.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • Rich1976
    Rich1976 Posts: 532 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    12 months is the timescale I believe for you to change your mind and have the meter removed .
  • matelodave
    matelodave Posts: 8,613 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 8 April at 5:51PM
    Options
    They wont remove the meter once its been installed, although if you've requested it to be fitted, there is usually a cooling off period of 12 or 24 months, depending on the water company, allowing you to revert to RV billing but its pretty unlikely that they'll allow reversion after that, but that said, there's no harm in asking

If the water co installed it as part of their network upgrade then they won't, likewise if you moved in and the water meter was already fitted then you are stuck with metered billing.
    Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large numbers
  • tim_p
    tim_p Posts: 693 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    They used to offer to remove a meter within 1 year of install but that was a while ago when I got mine installed (bill dropped by 2/3rds)
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,482 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    edited 22 April at 11:08AM
    Options
    2 years is a hard limit, with some companies there is only 1 or even none (if the supplier is underway with compulsorily fitting meters in the area.) The only route will be a bill reduction if they qualify, but I can't see it as 2 children are fairly standard.

Those switching to a meter should always consider how big the saving is and if it's marginal, or there may be more people living in the house in future, it's not worth losing the right to unmetered billing.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback