Ebay - Its now free to sell preowned clothes!

Options

Comments

• Placitasgirl
    Placitasgirl Posts: 391 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April at 2:11PM
    Options
    Here's a link to the article that appears in Wales Online today... 

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/ebay-makes-huge-change-fees-28954458

• i_love_it
    i_love_it Posts: 848 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I assume that as the offer is for private sellers only, then all clothing whether new with tags or worn will be considered pre loved and be included in the offer. 
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,625 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    soolin said:
    Always worth a try but be really careful on sizes and photo's.

Small/Medium/Large varies so much between brands even if people bother to read the listing they may expect the
    item to be a made to measure fit.

Size 12 in one shop/brand maybe a 10 or a 14 in another shop/brand. I do wonder if the factories make garments slightly
    smaller to same on materials, will the retailer know the factory took a few mm off the pattern size?

And then the colour and patterns...more headaches.

Be really careful on your description.

I entirely echo this post.

In the far distant past I did sell clothes, it was the hardest category I ever sold in with more return requests and issues than in all other categories I've ever sold in combined. Lots of questions like 'will this fit me?' (no idea love, I'm not a mind reader) or is this really blue- or could it be nearer green as it appears on my PC.

Or the returns for 'this is mislabelled, I am a size 14 and I can't even get this over my head', or for stains that appeared only they had the item for 2 weeks and had obviously worn it.

As per the OP I do wonder if the growth of Vinted has started to concern ebay- as clothes are the most common category on Vinted. 

Remember though as with all these offers, read the T and C's, I imagine there will be a high percentage of people trying to fit 'hat's or other accessories into a clothing category, or forgetting the 'second hand' bit and listing new clothes. 

But under the T&C's ebay state

What are pre-owned clothes?

Pre-owned clothes are items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used. Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash. 

So, does it include new or not?

Surely you can have something both new and pre-owned.
    Like many women I have items I've bought and never worn. 
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,306 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 April at 2:11PM
    Options
    summerzby said:
    Hi 
    On the MSE WhatsApp group there is a link to a whales online article saying that eBay will no longer charge fees for selling second-hand clothes even if the listing was put up before 8th April. 
    I have contacted eBay who do not know anything about this. 
    I would like to know as I would like to sell a coat. 

Does anyone have any more information? 

Thank you 
    There is a thread already running with information, I’ll ask the forum team to merge this thread with that one. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • soolin
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    soolin said:
    Always worth a try but be really careful on sizes and photo's.

Small/Medium/Large varies so much between brands even if people bother to read the listing they may expect the
    item to be a made to measure fit.

Size 12 in one shop/brand maybe a 10 or a 14 in another shop/brand. I do wonder if the factories make garments slightly
    smaller to same on materials, will the retailer know the factory took a few mm off the pattern size?

And then the colour and patterns...more headaches.

Be really careful on your description.

I entirely echo this post.

In the far distant past I did sell clothes, it was the hardest category I ever sold in with more return requests and issues than in all other categories I've ever sold in combined. Lots of questions like 'will this fit me?' (no idea love, I'm not a mind reader) or is this really blue- or could it be nearer green as it appears on my PC.

Or the returns for 'this is mislabelled, I am a size 14 and I can't even get this over my head', or for stains that appeared only they had the item for 2 weeks and had obviously worn it.

As per the OP I do wonder if the growth of Vinted has started to concern ebay- as clothes are the most common category on Vinted. 

Remember though as with all these offers, read the T and C's, I imagine there will be a high percentage of people trying to fit 'hat's or other accessories into a clothing category, or forgetting the 'second hand' bit and listing new clothes. 

But under the T&C's ebay state

What are pre-owned clothes?

Pre-owned clothes are items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used. Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash. 

So, does it include new or not?

Surely you can have something both new and pre-owned.
    Like many women I have items I've bought and never worn. 
    The fact that I and others on other forums got confused with the term ‘pre loved’ it definitely shows the importance of reading every single bit of the FAQs!

it is clear from the T and Cs that new is allowed “These items can be new or used. Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash. ”. 

I suspect this is going to cause some issues for eBay going forward, I’m just waiting for  some sellers who find half a dozen identical items in different sizes in their wardrobe , and manage to find the same every day of the week for weeks on end. It would make sense for instance, to exclude MVL listings , but a further reading suggests that even those are not excluded. When I have a moment I’ll try a few dummy listings and see if anything is excluded. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • RedImp_2
    RedImp_2 Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    I got this on e-Mail as well as being on the Home Screen.
    Good news as married to someone with a shopping addiction who’s always recycling their wardrobe 😀
    Does mean won’t just be listing every two weeks, I guess EBay must see a jump in listings every two weeks normally.  Probably also means I can lower prices & postage as was/am cheesed off with paying fees on postage 
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,737 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    I also got the email.

I wonder why they have excluded footwear if they are trying to compete with Vinted?

• soolin
    Options
    Pollycat said:
    I also got the email.

I wonder why they have excluded footwear if they are trying to compete with Vinted?

I do wonder if they might bring in more categories later, specifically those popular on Vinted. 
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,818 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    All items listed in clothing categories on ebay.co.uk by UK private sellers are eligible for free selling. 

If I list my Makita drill in a clothing category, what would ebay do?
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • Grumpelstiltskin
    Grumpelstiltskin Posts: 4,298 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Soolin What are your thoughts on this?

I have in the past sold some of my son's vintage football and cricket shirts which I have listed under Sports Memorabilia.

Now that won't come under Clothing.

I looked last night and there are a few vintage football shirts listed under clothing, do you think sellers will cotton on and list more?
    I cant see what a listing as 'Vintage 1998 Liverpool football shirt size Large' in Clothing will cause any problem and anyone putting vintage Liverpool football shirt in search will find it

If you go down to the woods today you better not go alone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback