Ebay - Its now free to sell preowned clothes!

Options
Just gone on Ebay to reply to a message and noticed the banner 'Its now free to sell preowned clothes'

Guess they must be loosing out to Vinted.  Seems as if it is not a temporary move either and applies to existing unsold listing too.

Clothing is something I rarely sell but as its now free I may give it a go.

Comments

• forgotmyname
    forgotmyname Posts: 32,556 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Always worth a try but be really careful on sizes and photo's.

Small/Medium/Large varies so much between brands even if people bother to read the listing they may expect the
    item to be a made to measure fit.

Size 12 in one shop/brand maybe a 10 or a 14 in another shop/brand. I do wonder if the factories make garments slightly
    smaller to same on materials, will the retailer know the factory took a few mm off the pattern size?

And then the colour and patterns...more headaches.

Be really careful on your description.

Censorship Reigns Supreme in Troll City...

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    edited 8 April at 8:52AM
    Options
    Just gone on Ebay to reply to a message and noticed the banner 'Its now free to sell preowned clothes'

Guess they must be loosing out to Vinted.  Seems as if it is not a temporary move either and applies to existing unsold listing too.

I can't see this banner...

Small/Medium/Large varies so much between brands even if people bother to read the listing they may expect the

Size 12 in one shop/brand maybe a 10 or a 14 in another shop/brand. I do wonder if the factories make garments slightly
    smaller to same on materials, will the retailer know the factory took a few mm off the pattern size?

I'm always careful with my photos and descriptions.

Not only do I mention the size, I show measurements across bust, sleeve, length etc.

And it's not just that sizes differ between brands - I have some items (even in the same style) from shops like M&S and Next that differ in measurements to size stated.
    E.G. I have several Next linen mix summer dresses in the same style.
    One size 10 is bigger than a size 14 I have.
    That's why my photos always include actual measurements.
    Belt-and-braces approach to fend off SNADs.

And that's why I ignore sizing 'dice' in charity shops.
    I look at anything between 10 to 16 in tops/dresses and 10 to 14 in trousers.
    If it fits me, it fits me - regardless of what size it is.

I had a very interesting conversation with someone who was interested in a pair of DM shoes that were clearly labelled size 3 but were big, bigger than other size 3 DMs I have.
    The potential buyer was size 4 and wondered if they would fit.
    I sent photos of those compared to other similar size DMs and reminded her that I didn't accept returns.
    She took a punt, bought them and they fit perfectly.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,223 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    here's the link to the t and c's

It’s now free to sell pre-owned clothes! | eBay.co.uk

As per above it says 
    'The removal of transaction fees (final value fees and regulatory operating fees) for private sales of pre-owned clothing isn’t temporary, meaning sellers will continue to enjoy the benefits of selling their pre-owned clothes for free. '

It also reminds people of the 'free' categories

Which categories are eligible for free selling? 

All items listed in clothing categories on ebay.co.uk by UK private sellers are eligible for free selling. This excludes categories such as accessories, hats,  footwear, watches, bags and jewellery. Free selling applies to all sales of pre-owned clothing from 8 April, 2024, including items that were listed on ebay.co.uk before 8 April, 2024 that haven’t yet sold. '

I have checked and it definitely seems to be entirely free, no exclusion even for the 30p transaction fee.

AS 2nd hand clothes were traditionally the most common things sold by unregistered business sellers who run businesses buying in bulk from charity shops and re selling, I am still of the conspiracy theory that these free offers are connected somehow to the new reporting rules - designed to flush people out.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • BargainJunky
    BargainJunky Posts: 1,512 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options

Thank you for the tips/advice I think that is the reason why I rarely sell clothing.
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,223 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options

I entirely echo this post.

In the far distant past I did sell clothes, it was the hardest category I ever sold in with more return requests and issues than in all other categories I've ever sold in combined. Lots of questions like 'will this fit me?' (no idea love, I'm not a mind reader) or is this really blue- or could it be nearer green as it appears on my PC.

Or the returns for 'this is mislabelled, I am a size 14 and I can't even get this over my head', or for stains that appeared only they had the item for 2 weeks and had obviously worn it.

As per the OP I do wonder if the growth of Vinted has started to concern ebay- as clothes are the most common category on Vinted. 

Remember though as with all these offers, read the T and C's, I imagine there will be a high percentage of people trying to fit 'hat's or other accessories into a clothing category, or forgetting the 'second hand' bit and listing new clothes. 

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • olgadapolga
    olgadapolga Posts: 2,274 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Pollycat said:

I found it at the top of the Seller Hub page. 
  • Purple_Jumper
    Options
    soolin said:

I entirely echo this post.

In the far distant past I did sell clothes, it was the hardest category I ever sold in with more return requests and issues than in all other categories I've ever sold in combined. Lots of questions like 'will this fit me?' (no idea love, I'm not a mind reader) or is this really blue- or could it be nearer green as it appears on my PC.

Or the returns for 'this is mislabelled, I am a size 14 and I can't even get this over my head', or for stains that appeared only they had the item for 2 weeks and had obviously worn it.

As per the OP I do wonder if the growth of Vinted has started to concern ebay- as clothes are the most common category on Vinted. 

Remember though as with all these offers, read the T and C's, I imagine there will be a high percentage of people trying to fit 'hat's or other accessories into a clothing category, or forgetting the 'second hand' bit and listing new clothes. 

But under the T&C's ebay state

What are pre-owned clothes?

Pre-owned clothes are items you no longer want or need in a variety of conditions, for example an outfit that no longer fits, an unwanted gift, or vintage fashion that needs a new home. These items can be new or used. Selling clothing for free on eBay is a great way to make some extra cash. 

So, does it include new or not?

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,700 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Pollycat said:

I found it at the top of the Seller Hub page. 
    I've found it under 'selling' - thanks
    But it isn't visible when you first visit the page (on my laptop), you have to scroll down past the photo.
    I can, however, see it on my mobile because there is no photo.
  • summerzby
    summerzby Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi 
    On the MSE WhatsApp group there is a link to a whales online article saying that eBay will no longer charge fees for selling second-hand clothes even if the listing was put up before 8th April. 
    I have contacted eBay who do not know anything about this. 
    I would like to know as I would like to sell a coat. 

Does anyone have any more information? 

Thank you 
  • summerzby
    summerzby Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 8 April at 2:11PM
    Options
    As a newbie I am not allowed to post links showing the article or the WhatsApp message 

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback