Digital Passport Photos

Options
On my last (postal) passport renewal I sent in physical photos that I had printed by ASDA photo 6 up on 6" x 4" matt prints (cut out 2 of them and sent those, kept the other sheets in case I needed a photo). Worked out pretty cost effective and they were accepted. I took them with a digital camera and stuck a poster on the wall showing the blank (white) side which I stood against. I used a flash and anti-red eye settings on the camera to eliminate shadows.
I am due to renew soon and will submit everything, including the photos as a digital application this time.
Has anyone got any tips to make sure they're accepted or has done similar recently?

Comments

43722 Posts: 233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I paid £10 at Max Spielmann for a photo, with a code which linked directly to the Passport Office Application process, it all worked very well.
  • annabanana82
    annabanana82 Posts: 3,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    We did ours at home, it would have cost me £50 for my family had I have gone to a shop. 
    Follow the guidance on the website, when you upload the photo it will give you an indication of whether it will be accepted or not. 

Luckily we had a freshly painted cream wall that helped. My photo was the only one that got rejected but was quickly remedied with a selfie. Its really not difficult 
    Make £2023 in 2023 (#36) £3479.30/£2023

Make £2024 in 2024...
  • Emmia
    Emmia Posts: 3,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    I got mine done in a passport booth at Paddington station - it produced a sheet of 4 physical photos and a code for the online application - which I used so the photos are a bit redundant.

The booth gave an indication of whether the photo would be acceptable, which it was.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you're applying digitally you can take photos at home and upload them during the application process. So you could do what you did last time, or any modern smartphone has a camera that is good enough. Plain background and well lit with natural light works fine (indoor lighting tends to cause shadows).

The online application process will give an indication of whether a photo is good enough or not.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,159 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    We got ours done at Max Spielmann,s ,submitted them on line and was told by the computer /web site that the photos were not up to spec ,contacted the shop ,checked the photos said they were ok so posted them in ,passports arrived a few days later.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,799 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As above, you'll be given an indication as to if they are acceptable when you add them.  Painless 
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,801 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Note that the online indication is far from perfect, wife's photos are always listed as likely to be rejected but have been accepted each time (think others share the same system as the UK) - dont know if this is a complexion thing given plenty of known issues with AI on photos because of what its been trained on. 

There have also been cases here where online has said it's ok but was rejected later in the process. 
  • smudge56
    smudge56 Posts: 644 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Photos uploaded using the code are more likely to be accepted. The Photo Booth gives instructions as you go 
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I renewed my passport six months ago. Being a money saver we took the photo on a smart camera. It was rejected three times by the system. The last "reason" was that my eyes were closed. As they were open we just submitted it anyway and my new passport arrived just over a week later.
  • kandy91
    kandy91 Posts: 115 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Out of curiosity, what happens if your photo is not accepted? Are you given the opportunity to upload a new one, or is the application cancelled?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback