Car Hire, Snow Chains

Options

Rented a car with Hertz through booking.com / rentalcars.com early this year; website stated: "Price includes free rental of Snow Chains".

Paid in full (with insurance having previously been done over on that!)

Upon arrival and a long wait at the desk, I enquired if snow chains were in the car, twice, they were so signed the documentation, paid the deposit and took the keys.

After packing the car, now well over an hour later, a discussion if any of my mates had seen said snow chains? Nope.

Went back to the office and they said snow chains are not included, you have snow socks, and if we wanted what Id paid for I could upgrade to a 400 euro merc available at an unknown time in the future.

I've done a couple of rounds with rentalcars.com claims/complaints and they said "we have confirmed in the last email we contacted the supplier to investigate and they confirmed After investigation, that, as per confirmation from the rental location, chains are always in the car, so no refund is due. Your agent carefully reviewed your case and considered all relevant factors. Unfortunately, after thorough analysis, we have concluded that it is not possible to make changes to our initial decision."

Hmmm

I think what bothered me, apart from the mis-selling and calling us liars, is that all I'm after is the "Winter Equipment" charge on the Hertz bill back 

I normally let stuff like this as life is too short go but what a bunch of bait and switch scammers, I want my 19.20 euro back  ;) What's the best way?

Just when you think you're wise to car hire mis-selling/up-selling!  :|   

I recently watched an interview with Martin where he was talking about the motivation for MSE being companies ripping people off, these companies are the perfect examples....

• what's listed on the website when you purchase may not be provided (hmmm lol)
  • speak to hertz, we're just a booking website and not responsible for their listing 
  • something about snow chains being free so they're optional (ha!)
  • computer says no (in various forms)
  • complaint responses that drag stuff out for weeks
  • we cant issue refunds and cant put you through to anyone else (apparently no one else in the building)
  • there's no difference between snow chains and snow socks, they're the same (!)
  • and various other waffle. ..
Why is it so hard to hire a car without some form of scam  :|

Comments

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family