No fault car insurance claim, paid out, now getting solicitor letter

Options
Good morning,

Last year I was involved in a car accident, where the other party caused a crash (no injuries), my car was written off and I made a claim with my insurance company (One Call), it was deemed as a no fault accident.  After a few months I received the cheque from the other parties insurance company which I was happy with.  At this point I thought it was all settled. 

Fast forward to this week I receive a letter from a solicitor saying they are acting on my behalf (I never contacted them) because the other party is refusing to pay their insurer, and I should contact them with details of my claim amounts etc.  Then an email from my insurer accusing me of not cooperating with the Solicitor and if I don't I could be held responsible for the costs personally?

Given I have received the money from the claim and no longer use that insurance company it seems its between my old insurance company and the third parties company not sure why a Solicitor claiming to representing me is contacting me.  I am thinking of getting my own solicitor as I find it harassing and doesn't seem legal.

Thoughts?

Comments

• MattMattMattUK
    MattMattMattUK Posts: 8,694 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Good morning,

Last year I was involved in a car accident, where the other party caused a crash (no injuries), my car was written off and I made a claim with my insurance company (One Call), it was deemed as a no fault accident.  After a few months I received the cheque from the other parties insurance company which I was happy with.  At this point I thought it was all settled. 

Fast forward to this week I receive a letter from a solicitor saying they are acting on my behalf (I never contacted them) because the other party is refusing to pay their insurer, and I should contact them with details of my claim amounts etc.  Then an email from my insurer accusing me of not cooperating with the Solicitor and if I don't I could be held responsible for the costs personally?

Given I have received the money from the claim and no longer use that insurance company it seems its between my old insurance company and the third parties company not sure why a Solicitor claiming to representing me is contacting me.  I am thinking of getting my own solicitor as I find it harassing and doesn't seem legal.

Thoughts?
    If you want to spend money to lose even more and make your life difficult then go for it., otherwise, cooperate. Part of your policy and settlement will require you to cooperate with any future legal process and failure to do so makes you liable for those costs. 
  • markdarkhorse
    markdarkhorse Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Good morning,

Thoughts?
    If you want to spend money to lose even more and make your life difficult then go for it., otherwise, cooperate. Part of your policy and settlement will require you to cooperate with any future legal process and failure to do so makes you liable for those costs. 

Ok thanks, wanted to make sure I wasn't getting scammed.
  • DullGreyGuy
    DullGreyGuy Posts: 10,513 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Good morning,

Thoughts?

Your insurer pays you and then they get their money back from the third party or their insurer. If there are any issues in them recovering their outlay then they will require your assistance. 

If you are worried its a "scam" then contact your former insurers first to ensure you've got the legitimate solicitors acting on their behalf.

Effectively you and your insurers are considered one when it comes to litigation and so the solicitors will want to know about any other losses you sustained (eg excess, injury, loss of earnings etc) otherwise were they to litigate not including these you'd be barred from taking a second litigation for the same incident. 
  • markdarkhorse
    markdarkhorse Posts: 10 Forumite
    First Post
    edited 5 April at 3:36PM
    Options
    Good morning,

Thoughts?

Your insurer pays you and then they get their money back from the third party or their insurer. If there are any issues in them recovering their outlay then they will require your assistance. 

If you are worried its a "scam" then contact your former insurers first to ensure you've got the legitimate solicitors acting on their behalf.

Effectively you and your insurers are considered one when it comes to litigation and so the solicitors will want to know about any other losses you sustained (eg excess, injury, loss of earnings etc) otherwise were they to litigate not including these you'd be barred from taking a second litigation for the same incident. 

Thanks, I have contacted the their Solicitors and provided them with the information.  The email from my Insurance company confirmed it was their Solicitor the letter originated from.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback