Northumbia Water offer - legit?

Options
Rosa_Damascena
Rosa_Damascena Posts: 6,317 Forumite
First Anniversary Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper
Yesterday I had some mail from Northumbria Water that appeared to be too good to true. The leaflet appeared to be genuinely from Northumbrian Water and came complete with a QR code (which I have not yet scanned).

The company offered to do an assessment of home water usage and install anything required to improve efficiency. All repairs etc would be foc. Thoughts?

I live in Essex.
No man is worth crawling on this earth.

So much to read, so little time.

Comments

• la531983
    la531983 Posts: 1,908 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 5 April at 10:42AM
    Options
    Yesterday I had some mail from Northumbria Water that appeared to be too good to true. The leaflet appeared to be genuinely from Northumbrian Water and came complete with a QR code (which I have not yet scanned).

The company offered to do an assessment of home water usage and install anything required to improve efficiency. All repairs etc would be foc. Thoughts?

I live in Essex.
    Northumbrian Water trade as "Essex and Suffolk Water" in your area so likely legit as they will be your supplier one assumes. Why not just ring them using the phone number on their website or a bill and ask?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,928 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd be a bit sceptical about the 'any repairs free of charge' bit, but the rest of it sounds reasonable, I've had water companies in the past offer things like free 'toilet bricks' to put in your cistern to reduce the amount of water used per flush
  • Rosa_Damascena
    edited 5 April at 12:13PM
    Options
    I'd be a bit sceptical about the 'any repairs free of charge' bit, but the rest of it sounds reasonable, I've had water companies in the past offer things like free 'toilet bricks' to put in your cistern to reduce the amount of water used per flush
    It was this element that sounded too good to be true - I can see that this could be used as a means of entry / recce for those up to no good.

I did have a quick look at the website before posting and didn't see any sign of this. Using the contact details on the leaflet would not be helpful if its a case of guilty before being proven innocent!

• Rodders53
    Rodders53 Posts: 2,180 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 5 April at 5:11PM
    Options
    Likely something like this https://nwl.watersavingkit.com/your-free-water-saving-kit/ plus maybe contact https://www.eswater.co.uk/contact direct to ask if it is legit and what exactly it entails?

Maybe they check for dripping taps and overflowing toilets customers are not aware of  - especially if on a priority register with them?
  • Fannyfart
    Fannyfart Posts: 1 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    Hi. I have a small shop which I don’t pay rates on, and don’t have any running water at all ! No toilet nothing! But Northumbria water have charged me £150 per year for the last 14 years! They say it’s because the rain water goes over my shop into their drains! Is this right?? 
  • Rosa_Damascena
    Options
    Fannyfart said:
    Hi. I have a small shop which I don’t pay rates on, and don’t have any running water at all ! No toilet nothing! But Northumbria water have charged me £150 per year for the last 14 years! They say it’s because the rain water goes over my shop into their drains! Is this right?? 
    If the rainwater accumulated around your shop who would you contact re: drainage? I'm guessing that if you are the nearest postcode it probably is. I would have suggested checking with the LA but I can see you don't pay rates and might be wary of your council.

I came back here to update - I hade a call from an 0800 number earlier with the same offer, this time purporting to be Essex & Suffolk water. Seemed genuine but then so are the best scammers - again no verification.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport