Standing order issues - advice please

Options

Cancelled a standing order as I was told the entire fees were paid and no further payments were due. However, the standing order still went out.

I reached out to the company concerned but they are saying they do not do refunds bizzarely.

When I spoke to the bank, they are saying I cancelled the standing order on a bank holiday (29/03) so it didnt get actioned in time although they are saying the payment went out as a faster payment and not standing order.

What are my options here?

Comments

• TheBanker
    TheBanker Posts: 1,854 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    sultan123 said:

Cancelled a standing order as I was told the entire fees were paid and no further payments were due. However, the standing order still went out.

I reached out to the company concerned but they are saying they do not do refunds bizzarely.

When I spoke to the bank, they are saying I cancelled the standing order on a bank holiday (29/03) so it didnt get actioned in time although they are saying the payment went out as a faster payment and not standing order.

What are my options here?

What were you paying for? If you've made a payment that wasn't owed, then the recipient should refund you. I don't think they can just say they don't do refunds.

On your second point, Standing Orders are usually sent as Faster Payments. Standing Order refers to an instruction to make regular payments, it's not a type of payment as such. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,147 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Which bank and what was the scheduling of payments, i.e. when were they due to be sent each month?
  • sultan123
    sultan123 Posts: 385 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    Which bank and what was the scheduling of payments, i.e. when were they due to be sent each month?
    Natwest. Due to come out on 1st each month.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    S/O are all paid via the faster payment system now.
    Life in the slow lane
  • sultan123
    Options
    S/O are all paid via the faster payment system now.
    Weird as to why the natwest person who spoke to me said was done as faster payment
  • eskbanker
    Options
    sultan123 said:
    eskbanker said:
    The period from 29 March to 1 April was effectively a four day weekend, given the bank holidays, so I can understand why the 29th was too late to cancel a payment due out on the 1st, even if the payment didn't actually go ahead until the 2nd. 

However, as above, who was the payment to?  If a UK company, it's unlikely that they'd have the right to simply choose to retain your money, if you'd already fulfilled your contractual payment obligations....
  • sultan123
    edited 4 April at 6:51PM
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    sultan123 said:
    eskbanker said:
    The period from 29 March to 1 April was effectively a four day weekend, given the bank holidays, so I can understand why the 29th was too late to cancel a payment due out on the 1st, even if the payment didn't actually go ahead until the 2nd. 

However, as above, who was the payment to?  If a UK company, it's unlikely that they'd have the right to simply choose to retain your money, if you'd already fulfilled your contractual payment obligations....
    It's to a training agency. They initially said course fee is £1200 which was paid by standing order. With this extra payment it went to £1300. 

When I chased they said they do not do refunds and if I decide to defer or resit my exams they will use the extra £100 towards that. When I said I will pay the money towards a deferral or resit at the time if it is necessary they are saying they do not do refunds.

• eskbanker
    Options
    I can understand a 'no refunds' policy in the normal course of events, e.g. where someone changes their mind after making a commitment, but in the context of a mistaken overpayment, that seems unreasonable.  Not sure you have many options though, have you escalated to the most senior person in the company, or are they affiliated to any sort of trade association?

Ultimately you could issue a letter before action as a precursor to a court claim, but are you ever likely to use this company again?
  • sultan123
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    I can understand a 'no refunds' policy in the normal course of events, e.g. where someone changes their mind after making a commitment, but in the context of a mistaken overpayment, that seems unreasonable.  Not sure you have many options though, have you escalated to the most senior person in the company, or are they affiliated to any sort of trade association?

Ultimately you could issue a letter before action as a precursor to a court claim, but are you ever likely to use this company again?
    Yes they are being very unreasonable. They said to me its all in their terms and conditions. But how can you keep hold of accidental overpayment money and say we will use it if you have any future needs.

I wont be using the company but I am not happy £100 of hard earned money is taken for no reason.

Natwest have filled out some recovery form? Said they will give me reference number in 24 hours and it can take 24 working days to resolve. 

Could I go to obdusman?
  • Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,299 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    If it ever did get to court, you would win and they would be ordered to pay your costs.

However I don't think the bank did anything wrong.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback