Rubbish dumped into my bin

Options
A bit random.. but someone just filled my bin with their rubbish.

And they have done no recycling and even left some letter showing their address - about 15 minutes drive from me.

Can I just take it back to them? 😅

Comments

• Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,886 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    A bit random.. but someone just filled my bin with their rubbish.

And they have done no recycling and even left some letter showing their address - about 15 minutes drive from me.

Can I just take it back to them? 😅
    You could, but the address on the letter may not be the person who dumped the waste, and if they don't agree to take the waste and put it in their bin then you'd be committing an offence if you did something like dumping it in their garden.

Alternatively, if you felt strongly you could instead contact your local council and report it as illegal dumping of waste.  The address on the envelope would give them a good lead.  It is possible the person living at the address has paid someone to dispose of some excess bags and the trader has just looked for a convenient bin to put the stuff in.
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,548 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I would do as suggested by Section62.  See what response you get from the council.
  • Newbie_John
    Newbie_John Posts: 473 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, just done that. Not really sure what to expect apart from message - at least they've put it to a bin.. but let's see. Thanks
  • Section62
    Section62 Posts: 7,886 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks, just done that. Not really sure what to expect apart from message - at least they've put it to a bin.. but let's see. Thanks
    If they have the resources they may come out to inspect what is in your bin and take away anything they think will be useful as evidence.

If nothing else you've made the council aware someone other than you has put waste in your bin, so if there is anything in it (when collected) which shouldn't be there then you shouldn't be subject to enforcement action yourself.
  • Kim_13
    Kim_13 Posts: 2,488 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    You’d also hope that the council would pass a note to their contractor to take any waste that won’t fit into the bin for the next collection (here they will not take excess waste in bin bags, it has to be in the bin to be collected, so the person who has dumped the waste into OPs bin may have put the OP into the position of paying their council tax only to be unable to have their waste collected, as it now won’t all fit.) That’s unacceptable, so the council needs to take appropriate action to ensure the OP can use the service as usual (whether that is making sure that extra bags are taken or by sending someone to collect the dumped items and any evidence there may be among them.)
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,496 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Are they local to you? So random they would actually use your bin
  • Newbie_John
    edited 4 April at 9:29PM
    Options
    About 15 mins drive from me (assuming it's their address on the open envelope). Looking at the rubbish - very domestic all sorts of dinner leftovers, packaging.. 
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too, the only thing I can think of is someone visiting someone locally - or some builder working locally / delivery driver trying to get rid of their excess? They clearly haven't done any recycling there and the mixed rubbish bins here are quite small and collected every 2 weeks so maybe that's why? I will never know. But very, very odd.. I've seen before an occasional dog poo there in a tiny bag, but that's OK, this one just filled my bin and it's still 9 days till next collection.
  • marcia_
    marcia_ Posts: 1,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Options
    About 15 mins drive from me (assuming it's their address on the open envelope). Looking at the rubbish - very domestic all sorts of dinner leftovers, packaging.. 
    Yeah, I was surprised by that too, the only thing I can think of is someone visiting someone locally - or some builder working locally / delivery driver trying to get rid of their excess? They clearly haven't done any recycling there and the mixed rubbish bins here are quite small and collected every 2 weeks so maybe that's why? I will never know. But very, very odd.. I've seen before an occasional dog poo there in a tiny bag, but that's OK, this one just filled my bin and it's still 9 days till next collection.
     If you are worrying that you won't have room for your rubbish I'm assuming you have a car if you were thinking of taking the rubbish back to them. Just take your own rubbish to the tip and wait and see what the council say. 
  • jonnydeppiwish!
    jonnydeppiwish! Posts: 1,215 Forumite
    First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Out of interest, where was your bin? We have the occasional bin left out on the pavement over the weekend and it’s a major dog walking area. Full size wheelie bin half filled with dog poo bags when the owners finally take them in.

Though, tbf, if you leave a general waste bin on a public footpath….
    2006 LBM £28,000+ in debt.
    2021 mortgage and debt free, working part time and living the dream
  • Newbie_John
    Options
    It's cul-de-sac area, so no casual walkers, but by saying that, it is on the side of the house (end of terrace) and people walking towards their houses (about 20 households) sporadically used in - once every few months. 
    I know I can hide the bins etc. but as much as I never bothered with little extras (better in my bin than left somehwere outside) just in the last 6-7 years haven't had someone filling my bin entirely, and if that was a neighbour running out of space I would probably accept - just find it very odd that someone from far away did that  :D
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback