Getting another credit card

Options
icedms
icedms Posts: 36 Forumite
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
edited 4 April at 5:05PM in Credit cards
I have to do purchases on behalf of another person and wanted to keep it all separate from my own finances so got a Monzo Flex credit card. I don’t like it!
I do have a Monzo account purely for the saving pots, so I thought it would be simple to keep it separate but I’m just totally confused by it.
i have two credit cards that I have had forever, Barclaycard and MBNA. I use one for cash/balance transfers and the other for larger purchases or where I need/want something that I don’t want to pay for straight away.
I want to get rid of the Monzo Flex card and get another credit card for the other persons purchases. The spend isn’t usually much, a couple hundred a month and mostly spent in supermarkets.
I’d appreciate some advise. Do I get rid of the flex before applying, should I go with a supermarket card and is there anything else when thinking about which card to go for that I haven’t thought of.
Thanks
23/8/21
Mortgage balance £11,277.68
Monthly payments £202.93
Interest £
Term 4 years 8 months 
MFW start 23/8/21

Comments

• Brie
    Brie Posts: 10,126 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    You likely have a good reason but you do realise that even though this is someone else's purchases it's you who are responsible for them even if you never get paid back. 

I'm guessing you're buying groceries for an aged relative or similar so perhaps it's not a high risk thing unless the person suddenly is not able to pay you for any reason whatsoever.  If that's the case would it be possible for them to get a card and you have an associate one?  That way it's their money, their credit rating, their debt but you can legitimately spend on it (on their behalf of course).  Alternative might be to get a debit card on their bank account after they get you third party authority on the account.  This is normally done to help someone manage their money.  I had one for my MiL's account when she was no longer able to get to an ATM or pay her bills easily.

"Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • inthezeroroom
    inthezeroroom Posts: 35 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I agree with Brie that it would be best to use a card on their account (or even just their card), and preferably a debit card. Or there's always cash...
  • Brie
    Options
    I agree with Brie that it would be best to use a card on their account (or even just their card), and preferably a debit card. Or there's always cash...
    Using their card even with their permission will be looked at unkindly by their bank.  Potential accusations of fraud, or theft so only use a card that has been issued to you directly if it's from their account.
    "Never retract, never explain, never apologise; get things done and let them howl.”
  • icedms
    Options
    Thanks for the responses but I have my reasons for doing what I am doing. There is very little risk and one that I am good with but thanks for the concern.
    23/8/21
    Monthly payments £202.93
    Interest £
    Term 4 years 8 months 
    MFW start 23/8/21

• Brie
    Options
    In that case I'd go for whatever gives you the max payback wherever you shop normally. So Tesco or Sainsbury's or Waitrose depending on the person's shop preferences.  So get your points and your discounts or use your Lidl plus app however it suits.

(had a friend helping someone else and she was told to make sure that everything came from Waitrose or M&S as she didn't like "those cheap places"!!!)
  • icedms
    Options
    Sainsbury’s is just round the corner so that’s usually where I get the shopping from and I have a nectar card so maybe that’s the way to go.
    23/8/21
    Monthly payments £202.93
    Interest £
    Term 4 years 8 months 
    MFW start 23/8/21

• aludcov
    aludcov Posts: 8 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Would a pre-paid shopping card be appropriate? There are plenty on the market and may help in this instance?
  • Desmond_Hume
    Desmond_Hume Posts: 99 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Starling have their “Connected Card” for exactly this scenario. Their bank account, a “space” specifically for this connected card to spend from which is given to a trusted third party. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback