onlinecarparts.co.uk using Evri for scam?

Options
I foolishly ordered some expensive (£460) car parts from onlinecarparts.co.uk (actually a German company AKA AUTODOC AG) on 20 March. AUTODOC charged my card (unfortunately not a credit card) on 26 March, and soon after showed the parts as 'delivered' on their website with a tracking number I tracked down to Evri. The Evri status is 'We're expecting it'.

I queried this on web chats with AUTODOC and their rep said:
If you see a tracking number, it means that the parcel left our warehouse and it's in transit to your country for delivery. However, the delivery company will have the update of the tracking only when the order arrives to the destination country which may take a couple of days (usually 48 working hours). Follow the tracking link for updates while this occurs.

Of course, Evri are impossible to contact, and I'm concerned that is why Autodoc has used them to generate a spurious tracking number for a parcel they haven't delivered to Evri. Does anyone have experience of this, or advice?

Comments

• born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,667 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    If they do not arrive & you used a Debit Card
    Visa 15 days, Mastercard 30 days. 
    Contact your bank for non receipt chargeback.👍
    Life in the slow lane
  • CliveOfIndia
    CliveOfIndia Posts: 1,451 Forumite
    Options
    As above, if you paid by debit card then you have the option of doing a chargeback.
    However, it may be perfectly legitimate.
    The Evri status is 'We're expecting it'.

If you see a tracking number, it means that the parcel left our warehouse and it's in transit to your country for delivery. However, the delivery company will have the update of the tracking only when the order arrives to the destination country which may take a couple of days (usually 48 working hours).

It's quite possible that the order has been delivered to the UK and is sat in an Evri warehouse at Southampton docks or wherever it got delivered to.  It then needs to make its way in the back of an Evri lorry from there to your local depot, and from there to your house.

• PHK
    PHK Posts: 1,349 Forumite
    Options
    Remember it will need to go through customs, whilst this is often quick it can take a couple of weeks. The tracking won't update until it's arrived in this country and been cleared by customs. With Easter then it's liable to take longer. 

So far, I'd say it's not looking like a scam. 
  • Shrodinger
    Shrodinger Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    edited 8 April at 4:15PM
    Options
    The plot thickens... Having been unsuccessful contacting a human being at Evri, I also tried contacting Evri yesterday on their facebook page, and got contacted by '

(Removed by Forum Team) 

(I can't post a link to his FB because I'm a MSE newbie)

He DM'd 'We're sorry for the unpleasant experience you've received. We'd like to help you with this, please reach out to us via DM. We'll do our best to assist you.', asked for my phone no., then 'Kindly wait for a call from our online customer care team for assistance.'

I just had a call from an Indian man from 07308 (Removed by Forum Team) on WhatsApp who said that Evri had lost the parcel. He asked to confirm my personal details and DOB then told me to install Remitly, an international money transfer app so they could refund me. I said I wasn't entirely happy this was legit, and he said he was busy with other customers and hung up.

Evri tracking is now showing as 'We've got it', so it is indeed now looking like very slow delivery rather than a scam. I'll keep youz informed...
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 8 April at 4:15PM
    Options
    The plot thickens... Having been unsuccessful contacting a human being at Evri, I also tried contacting Evri yesterday on their facebook page, and got contacted by '

(Removed by Forum Team) 

He DM'd 'We're sorry for the unpleasant experience you've received. We'd like to help you with this, please reach out to us via DM. We'll do our best to assist you.', asked for my phone no., then 'Kindly wait for a call from our online customer care team for assistance.'

I just had a call from an Indian man from 07308 (Removed by Forum Team) on WhatsApp who said that Evri had lost the parcel. He asked to confirm my personal details and DOB then told me to install Remitly, an international money transfer app so they could refund me. I said I wasn't entirely happy this was legit, and he said he was busy with other customers and hung up.

Evri tracking is now showing as 'We've got it', so it is indeed now looking like very slow delivery rather than a scam. I'll keep youz informed...
    This man clearly saw your FB posting on the Evri page and tried to scam you.

But to think Evri were somehow in cahoots with the seller seems a touch propesterous tbh.
  • Shrodinger
    Shrodinger Posts: 3 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    BoGoF said:

But to think Evri were somehow in cahoots with the seller seems a touch propesterous tbh.
    It is preposterous - I did not say that. I said "I'm concerned that is why Autodoc has used [Evri] to generate a spurious tracking number for a parcel they haven't delivered to Evri." - knowing that it is very difficult to communicate with Evri to find out what is going on.

Fortunately, Evri tracking now shows the parcel as 'we have it' - albeit nearly a week after Audodoc say Evri picked it up.

Re the fake Evri manager, since Evri are almost impossible to contact, they are making their customers desperate to contact them vulnerable to scammers impersonating Evri staff.
  • BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    You are not the Evri 'customer' in this situation. Customers should be chasing the seller not the courier - you have no contract with them.
  • Mnoee
    Mnoee Posts: 822 Forumite
    Photogenic Homepage Hero First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I have a similar thing ordering from zooplus if it comes from mainland Europe - tracking number that doesn't work til it hits the UK, sometimes for up to 10 days, then suddenly it's out for delivery. It's annoying, but fingers crossed you've got it by now! 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 8 April at 4:16PM
    Options

(Removed by Forum Team) 

I just had a call from an Indian man from 07308 (Removed by Forum Team) on WhatsApp who said that Evri had lost the parcel. He asked to confirm my personal details and DOB then told me to install Remitly, an international money transfer app so they could refund me. I said I wasn't entirely happy this was legit, and he said he was busy with other customers and hung up.

More likely busy to move onto the next victim.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback