Broken iPhone Screen when being repaired

Options
Spicop
Spicop Posts: 1 Newbie

I took my iPhone 12 mini 128gb to Timpson for a new battery (Cost £50).
I was told it was not a genuine battery but all would be fine, however when replacing the battery the guy in the shop broke the screen.
He said he would order a new screen and fit free of charge, I asked would this be a genuine apple screen and he said yes.

I went back a few days later when the screen arrived and again asked is it a genuine screen and he said yes (had he said no I would have refused the repair).

Timpson (the guy) then replaced the screen and gave the phone back to me, I set the phone up later that day and it has 2 errors, firstly it cannot recognise battery health etc. as it is not a genuine battery and the settings display a warning (I think they should have told me this regardless of how good the alternative battery is as this warning is annoying to say the least).
The second error is it does not recognise the screen as an apple screen and the "True Tone" function is no longer available (essentially the screen does not work like a genuine screen).

I went back and they said they would need to send the phone away and remove a chip from old screen and soldier to new screen to get rid of the message, I said but you told me it was a genuine screen and now you say it isn't and you can only get rid of the error message by fooling the phone by soldering parts from one screen to the other.

Had I been made aware that the screen would not work the same or be a genuine screen I would have refused the repair (saving my and their time/cost in making a repair which I do not find acceptable).

As they broke the screen can I demand a genuine apple replacement? or do I have to accept a screen which just fools the iPhone?

Timpson told me they cannot get apple parts as they are not an apple authorised repair centre so cannot get me a genuine screen, the only option I see is that they buy me an apple certified refurbished phone which will cost them £399.

Understandably they don’t whish to pay £399 for a refurbished phone for a £50 battery replacement.

Am I entitled to a genuine apple screen (thus a refurbished phone) or must I accept a non-apple screen with soldering of chips etc to fool the phone?

Comments

• brook_heather
    brook_heather Posts: 110 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 6 April at 5:14PM
    Options
    Apple will charge £239 for an iPhone 12 mini screen replacement so suggest you get them to agree to cover that cost.  They caused the damage so they will need to either put the phone back to its previous condition or pay you to make good on the repair.  Do they have any T&Cs that you signed when you gave them the phone to repair?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback