Did I get scammed? Car hire in Albania

Options
TLDR; Credit card didn't work for deposit but car hire guy let me take it if I gave him 100Euros to cover money for insurance excess

Detailed;
My Halifax Clarity credit card didn't work for the car hire and neither did my wife's (we both have Halifax Clarity cards). Therefore, we wouldn't have been able to take the car because they had nothing to secure against the car in case of an accident or speeding ticket.

I then called Halifax and spent about 90 mins on the phone with them and they said that they weren't seeing anything on their systems at all and they weren't denying any payments.

On the card machine itself, it was coming up with code 811 and the message "System malfunction". When I looked up this code I see it translates to "Insufficient user permission for processing payment transactions"

After getting nowhere, the representative suggested he would let us have it if we paid the insurance excess in cash (roughly 100 Euro). So, we finally got our car and were underway, but I feel sure I've been scammed

I subsequently used the Clarity credit card in other places in Albania without issue.

Could the representative have just unplugged the machine or somehow changed it's settings?

What makes this odd, is that I tried another hire car company the following day and got the exact same error on their card machine. However, I was behind an Italian fella in the queue and he was also paying his excess in cash

Any thoughts? Is this unusual/normal in Albania? Was I scammed?

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,883 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 1 April at 5:08PM
    Options
    If you were paying €100 for the deposit/insurance excess anyway, how is it a scam to pay by cash instead of by credit card?
    In what way are you out of pocket? It’s only going to be an issue if you were expecting your hundred euros back and don’t get it. Which you haven’t said is the case?
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • mapryan
    mapryan Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Probably should have been clearer. I didn't want to pay the insurance excess as I had my own excess policy.

Also, I feel like the excess cash was more than likely going into the guys pocket but that's their problem I guess
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,883 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Same thing applies though, surely?
    It’s still not about how you paid, it’s about whether you actually needed the insurance in the first place. 

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,352 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    elsien said:
    Same thing applies though, surely?
    It’s still not about how you paid, it’s about whether you actually needed the insurance in the first place. 

Sounds like the car hire place was forcing the OP to buy excess insurance because they couldn't block the policy excess (usually around 1000 EUR) on the credit card. So OP was forced to pay for something he didn't need, as he already had excess insurance. 

Likely to be a scam. Happens with car hire everywhere, that's the problem with comparison sites, car hire is offered at a ridiculously low rate so it's the cheapest on comparison sites, so they make no profit on the car rental itself, instead they give you the hard sell or in some cases practically force you to buy unnecessary extras at the desk when you pick it up. 
  • mapryan
    mapryan Posts: 91 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    @zagfles that's it exactly.
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    One of the common car hire tricks of the shady operators, even in more visited countries like Spain.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback