Car hire: UK licence refused at desk (Economy Car Rentals)

Options
I booked a car hire through Economy Car Rentals and when I arrived at Malaga airport the local firm refused me the car. They said that the T&Cs stipulated I must have an International Driving Licence. Actually, the T&Cs state that I must have an IDL if I am non-EU citizen. I am an Irish citizen with Irish passport. Then, when I complained, they said it was because my licence is UK. The T&Cs do not say this. I have complained to them without result. The car hire company in Malaga said that I could hire a car from them out of the contract with Economy Car Rentals, at a much increased cost. This caused a lot of anguish and cost on the night in Spain. How do I take this further? Is there an ombudsman for online car hire websites? 

Comments

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    You might want to try the European Car Rental Conciliation Service:

ECRCS Homepage
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In what jurisdication is your driving licence issued? 
  • bagand96
    bagand96 Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 31 March at 12:32PM
    Options
    Economy Car Rentals aren't a car hire company, they're just an agent.  You'd have accepted the T&C's of both Economy Car Rentals and the hire company (who was it?)

Rented a car in Malaga recently, some of the prices quoted were outrageously low at the airport companies starting at £4 a day.  A small amount of research and some of these bargain basement companies use dubious practices at the counter to extract more cash:

- Pressure selling the All Inclusive Insurance
    - You need an IDP if you're on a UK licence - if you haven't got one you need to purchase the All inclusive Insurance
    - Your name on your driving licence doesn't match the name on your credit card - we can't accept a deposit on that card, you'll need to purchase the All Inclusive Insurance
    - Mysteriously the card machine "fails" to accept the credit card for a deposit - you'll need to pay the All Inclusive Insurance

On the IDP  for UK license holders- Spanish Law doesn't require it for short term visitors.  However the hire company can require this if they choose (and any other condition) - but obviously it must be notified in the T&C's.  You'd need to check through the hire T&Cs but if that's not what was said you may have a valid complaint.
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,381 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Hoenir said:
    In what jurisdication is your driving licence issued? 
    That could well be the issue - if the OP has a UK driving licence then the car rental staff may have automtaically assumed he was a non EU national.
    The Irish passport should have resolved that though - and if its a Republic of Ireland driving licence then the rental firm is at fault.

• Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,668 Forumite
    Options
    Why didn't you use an Irish driving licence?
  • noelrobx
    noelrobx Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ok, will try the ECRCS.
    My driver's licence is UK. I do not have an Irish licence as I live in UK, where I took my test.
    I checked the T&Cs well before the hire and there is no mention of needing an IDP for EU citizens.
  • noelrobx
    noelrobx Posts: 5 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    The ECRCS does not help unless it's a big car hire company.

I don't have an Irish licence as I live in UK, but am an Irish citizen.
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,394 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    noelrobx said:
    You still haven't said which company Economy used here?
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,286 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    noelrobx said:

I don't have an Irish licence as I live in UK, but am an Irish citizen.
    Appears you've attempted to mix and match. Never going to be acceptable. 
  • NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,381 Forumite
    Options
    "I checked the T&Cs well before the hire and there is no mention of needing an IDP for EU citizens"
    The bureaucratic administrative mindset  presumably being that EU citizens will hold a driving licence issued in an EU country ?
    Another "benefit" of the lunacy that was Brexit.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback