PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Unpaid leave on payslip while applying for mortgage

Options
Getting a bit worried that I took a week unpaid in march, (I'm paid monthly) and then circumstances meant my husband and i have started looking to buy rather than rent (that we have been doing past 18 years) we have not started our mortgage application, but my husband wants to start after the bank holiday weekend. Stressed that the week unpaid will affect our mortgage application or the amount we can borrow. Have been with my employer since 2009. 

Comments

• dannim12345
    dannim12345 Posts: 393 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I don’t know but you provide a few months of payslips and give your salaries so one being slightly less but explainable I wouldn’t think would be an issue. 
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    what did your mortgage broker say?
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,953 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luaive said:
    Getting a bit worried that I took a week unpaid in march, (I'm paid monthly) and then circumstances meant my husband and i have started looking to buy rather than rent (that we have been doing past 18 years) we have not started our mortgage application, but my husband wants to start after the bank holiday weekend. Stressed that the week unpaid will affect our mortgage application or the amount we can borrow. Have been with my employer since 2009. 
    Do you have a steady monthly salary, which doesn't vary, or do you have overtime etc, so your salary changes a bit each month? 
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 15,104 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Usually they will want at least 3 months wage slips.
    Life in the slow lane
  • luaive
    luaive Posts: 187 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Sorry!! Uber late replying 😑 3 months should be okay apparently funds locked in to high interest until July, so by then I should be clear 🙏 Salary is mostly the same, unless i have holiday pay, I don't like working the hrs I have to, let alone more 😂😂 Not spoken to financial advisor yet, probably once we find a place we like and more importantly can afford!! 
  • Mutton_Geoff
    Mutton_Geoff Posts: 3,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    luaive said:
    Sorry!! Uber late replying 😑 3 months should be okay apparently funds locked in to high interest until July, so by then I should be clear 🙏 Salary is mostly the same, unless i have holiday pay, I don't like working the hrs I have to, let alone more 😂😂 Not spoken to financial advisor yet, probably once we find a place we like and more importantly can afford!! 
    It's a mortgage broker you need, not a financial advisor. How do you know how much you have to spend if you don't know (accurately) how much you can borrow yet?
    Signature on holiday for two weeks
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,801 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Does your payslip show your normal pay with a deduction for the unpaid week? If so then the mortgage lender will likely just ask if it's a normal thing or not. I did the same with our purchase and Natwest were fine with me taking a couple of unpaid weeks off on the basis it wasn't a regular occurrence.
  • luaive
    Options
    It's a mortgage broker you need, not a financial advisor. How do you know how much you have to spend if you don't know (accurately) how much you can borrow yet?

Ahh that was in reply to a past comment. Regarding the mortgage broker I have done a quick mortgage app through my bank can't remember what they call it now, but I have an idea what mortgage we might be offered.
  • luaive
    Options
    Yhea it shows each week separately and the hours and unpaid leave is separate again. Feel more assured now that it's not going to be an issue 😁
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure