Monzo account was hacked, need help.

Options

Comments

• cannugec5
    cannugec5 Posts: 454 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I log in to my Monzo app, without entering any passwords or PIN on my recognised device. 
    I do, however need to enter the PIN to do a transaction. 
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,181 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 31 March at 3:53PM
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    I don't know what's need to get in to Monzo app. But a banking app with just email & a password would be unusual.
    Normally there is some form of biometrics involved.
    You can turn off biometrics in the app so it just opens without the need for fingerprint ect.
    Halifax app will ask me for for example 1st, 4 and 5th character of my memoriable word.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    cannugec5 said:
    I log in to my Monzo app, without entering any passwords or PIN on my recognised device. 
    So what details do you need to enter? Or are you using face id?

I can't believe that simply taping & opening app lets you straight into your account.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    I don't know what's need to get in to Monzo app. But a banking app with just email & a password would be unusual.
    You can turn off biometrics in the app so it just opens without the need for fingerprint ect.
    So what info is needed to login in then?

You can set it to just open, or you can ask it for fingerprint/password each time you log in. It will ask you to confirm yourself every so often.
    Come on you Irons
  • GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,049 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 31 March at 10:59PM
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    Zinger549 said:

You can set it to just open, or you can ask it for fingerprint/password each time you log in. It will ask you to confirm yourself every so often.
    That doesn't sound particularly secure (or sensible).
  • km1500
    km1500 Posts: 2,372 Forumite
    Options
    i am guessing you need fingerprint etc to add a new payee though ...
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    Zinger549 said:

Wow, that a major flaw..
    Unless it is using face ID to open?
    Life in the slow lane
  • VXman
    VXman Posts: 522 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    cannugec5 said:
    So what details do you need to enter? Or are you using face id?

I can't believe that simply taping & opening app lets you straight into your account.
    Yes it is as easy as that on mine. I hadn't really thought about it until I lost my phone in Thailand 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I had fingerprint ID to open the phone. I feel for the OP - contacting all my banks that were on my phone or in Google Pay was a nightmare from abroad and some of them were not very helpful!
  • Zinger549
    Zinger549 Posts: 1,311 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Zinger549 said:
    Zinger549 said:

Wow, that a major flaw..
    Unless it is using face ID to open?

You need you fingerprint/pin to transfer any money. It will also ask you to verify yourself every so often.
    Come on you Irons
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,990 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mikb said:

Not sure how they got into Vinted, what i do know is she used the same email address with Vinted & Monzo (silly thing to do i know).

Same email address, or same email address and same password?

Same password counts as silly.

Same email address -- depends if you're the sort of person that creates a new email address for every organization ... but as most people don't, and only have a limited number of email addresses, it's perfectly fine to use the same email address.

FWIW, gmail allows you to add identifiers to email addresses which are treated as unique separate ones even though they all filter in e.g. I could have:

Nasqueron@gmail.com (I don't unfortunately as it was long gone before I started with the username!)
    Nasqueron+halifax@gmail.com - for all emails relating to Halifax
    Nasqueron+signup@gmail.com - for web newsletters

You can do this infinitely and actually helps you work out if someone is signing you up for spam as you can see which source organisation pushed it!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback