Options

Comments

• JayKay70
    JayKay70 Posts: 28 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    JayKay70 said:
    Hi,

I am asking on behalf of my sons girlfriend, before i start i will give some background.

She's 21 years old and recently moved to the UK to go to University, her father sends her £900 each month for rent/food etc etc to her Monzo account.

Whilst she was at college her card was stolen and somehow they got her Vinted (online clothes store) details and used it to access her Monzo account and then transferred the following:

£300
    £300 (1min later)
    £300 (1min later)
    £300 (1min later) - (this failed as there was no funds left)

It was the last failed transfer that triggered her account as Monzo sent a email regarding this failed transaction stating the account has been blocked.

She then immediately contacted the local police and they created a police report.

Then she contacted Monzo via email and online chat but it's seems all of it is automated, she has been trying to get some information from Monzo but nothing, she keeps getting the same automated response.

She is lost of what to do and being in a country where she has no parents to talk to is very daunting for her.

Is there anything anyone can recommend for her to do to get her money back?......if possible?

All the best

Jay
    Asked to be moved to banking. Where there are plenty of these types of posts.

There is more  to this story than is being said.

Where was card stolen from?
    No way does having card stolen gets them into vinted account or how this leads to £300 being transferred out of bank account several times.
    This has got to be someone known to her, or how else would they know she has a vinted account? Knowing Monzo is easy, due to card. But getting into bank acc via card. No way.

Going to have to keep trying Monzo on phone or contact via App. But this will not be a quick refund from them.

I have asked for this to be moved to banking.

Card was stolen whilst she was at University

Not sure how they got into Vinted, what i do know is she used the same email address with Vinted & Monzo (silly thing to do i know).

All i know is they got into her Monzo account and transferred money into their account.

She has been trying to get in touch with Monzo pretty much daily via phone and app and it seems all automated asking the same questions over and over again.....and she keeps giving the same answers over and over again.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 29 March at 3:56PM
    Options
    Won't get moved till after holiday. 

Needs more than a email to get into Monzo or Vinted.
    Life in the slow lane
  • Okell
    Okell Posts: 943 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Won't get moved till after holiday...
    Aren't the site team up and about until next Tuesday then?

OP would be better off just starting a duplicate thread on the banking forum.

If the site moans about duplicate threads the OP can moan back about not enough site cover...
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,319 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Monzo  chat in the app is open 24/7.
  • born_again
    born_again Posts: 14,690 Forumite
    Options
    Okell said:

If the site moans about duplicate threads the OP can moan back about not enough site cover...
    @soolin

Should be able to confirm. But never seen any reports over a weekend moved. So odds on a public holiday, I'll let you guess on that one 🤣
    Life in the slow lane
  • mikb
    mikb Posts: 561 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options

Not sure how they got into Vinted, what i do know is she used the same email address with Vinted & Monzo (silly thing to do i know).

Same email address, or same email address and same password?

Same password counts as silly.

Same email address -- depends if you're the sort of person that creates a new email address for every organization ... but as most people don't, and only have a limited number of email addresses, it's perfectly fine to use the same email address.

• soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,306 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Okell said:

@soolin

Should be able to confirm. But never seen any reports over a weekend moved. So odds on a public holiday, I'll let you guess on that one 🤣
    I understand there is only a skeleton staff available over this long weekend , I’ll try reporting and requesting a move as well. 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • JayKay70
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    mikb said:

Same email address, or same email address and same password?

Same password counts as silly.

Same email address -- depends if you're the sort of person that creates a new email address for every organization ... but as most people don't, and only have a limited number of email addresses, it's perfectly fine to use the same email address.

I asked her and she said she uses the same email and passwords for everything, i told her that is a very stupid thing to do.

Don't like to say this but she ain't the brightest spark when it comes to security, example i asked her to login to vinted and monzo and on both occasions i could see her typing her email and passwords as clear as day.

I asked her do you normally do that openly or is it because you trust me, she said that is how i have always done things.

I sat her down with my son and explained how the world is when it comes to security.....lets hope it sinks in.

For now i have told her to open up a bank account with HSBC and get her dad to send her monthly money to that account.

And to open up a second account with Revoult and everyday send money you need for that day from HSBC too Revoult and use Revoult as your daily spender.

Both accounts with new emails and passwords unique from each other and them emails/password/pins not to be used for anything else......and not to use the save feature on her phone.

Hopefully that will keep her safe from any future problems, now i just need to try and help her if possible get her money back as everyday she's upset/crying.
  • 400ixl
    400ixl Posts: 2,891 Forumite
    Options
    JayKay70 said:

And to open up a second account with Revoult and everyday send money you need for that day from HSBC too Revoult and use Revoult as your daily spender.

That is the worst advise possible. Revolut are not a bank, they are also completely unethical, have a higher risk of just restricting access to your money for no reason and is the go to method for scammers to extract money.

If she is not that savvy, using Revolut is the worst thing to have her do.
  • JayKay70
    First Post Name Dropper
    edited 30 March at 10:06AM
    Options
    400ixl said:
    JayKay70 said:

That is the worst advise possible. Revolut are not a bank, they are also completely unethical, have a higher risk of just restricting access to your money for no reason and is the go to method for scammers to extract money.

If she is not that savvy, using Revolut is the worst thing to have her do.

It's only to be used for daily spending, around £10 too £15 a day to be put in there for bus fares and food etc etc.

I have had Revoult for many years now and never had a problem, tbh i think all banks are vulnerable, it's all down to the person being extra vigilant.

But i will take your advice and get her to open up a account with one of the major banks.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback