Revolut or Wise for India?

Options
Does it make a difference?  Going there for work two weeks today, so I have a very limited amount of time to make a decision (a bit more notice would have been helpful!).  Staying in Bengaluru, if that makes a difference.

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Be aware that in many places only cards issued in India will work. So if at all possible make sure that you have adequate cash in rupees with you.

I had a terribly embarrassing experience... I was staying with friends of friends and the only ATM I had found did not work, but I had plenty of cards. I took them out to a restaurant as a kind of 'thank you', and on arrival I checked that I could pay by card. Anyway, at the end of the meal none of my cards worked in the machine, and before I knew what was happening my hosts had paid the bill with their card! I felt awful, partly because I knew that it was more than they could afford.
  • cazmanian_minx
    cazmanian_minx Posts: 4,048 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    For anyone who finds this because they've got the same question, I went for Wise and it's worked brilliantly.  I could set up a rupee account and convert pounds before I travelled to India and so far it's worked at every ATM and card machine I've tried.
  • Ballard
    Ballard Posts: 2,855 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I last went to India in 2016 unbeknown to us, India took the 500 & 1,000 Rupee notes out of circulation just before we arrived and it was impossible to exchange any currency. We found that a lot of places took cards and we were a bit off the beaten track up in the hills of West Bengal and Sikkim.

We got into the habit of double checking before we ordered anything. 
    I hate verisimilitude.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure