PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Can I book a survey?

Options
First time buyer, sorry for all the daft questions.

Solicitor has been sent the sales memorandum and Contract Pack by the estate agents. Mortgage application is in process and the lender had a valuation done last week.

I have received quotes from local RICs surveyors and have made my choice. Do I go ahead and book or do I wait for the solicitor or estate agents to tell me when? 

The seller is chain free so I'm hoping things will progress quickly and smoothly.
Debt Free: 01/01/2020

Comments

• Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,104 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    I'd wait until your hear from the mortgage lender before instructing the RICS surveyor to inspect the property.  Otherwise you could be expending money for no benefit. 
  • propertyrental
    propertyrental Posts: 2,550 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Booking a survey (assuming you decide you want one) is entirely up to you.
    Either do so immediately and keep your purchase moving forward or delay and see if other issues arise (legal or mortgage) which cause you to pull out.
    The decision is nothing to do with your solicitors or the seller's estate agent.

• eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,451 Forumite
    Options

You can ask your chosen survey firm how quickly they do a survey once you instruct them - if it's just a few days, it won't delay things too much if, for example, you wait until the searches are done and/or you've had a mortgage offer.

And/or you can ask them about cancellation fees if, for example, you book a survey now but cancel it later, if your mortgage application is refused.

• user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    Unless you think there's a significant risk of you not getting a mortgage offer, I would just get on with it. One of the reasons the (English) house-buying system is so long-winded seems to be because people are doing all these steps in series - and the longer the process drags on, the more likely it is that something else will throw a spanner in the works...
  • Albermarle
    Albermarle Posts: 22,190 Forumite
    Options
    Either do so immediately and keep your purchase moving forward or delay and see if other issues arise (legal or mortgage) which cause you to pull out.
    The decision is nothing to do with your solicitors or the seller's estate agent.

Maybe a daft comment, but if you just book it without reference to anybody else in the loop, how does the surveyor know when he can get access to the property?
  • user1977
    user1977 Posts: 14,096 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options

Maybe a daft comment, but if you just book it without reference to anybody else in the loop, how does the surveyor know when he can get access to the property?
    The surveyor arranges a time with the estate agent (or vendor). It's not normal for the surveyor's client to do that bit of admin.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback