Lebara connection problems

Options
bdmum1
bdmum1 Posts: 100 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 30 March at 12:36PM in Mobiles
Hope someone can help.

3 of us have moved to Lebara in last 6 months, 2 from Vodafone 1 from Virgin.

The first SIM move (phone 1)went smoothly and works without any issues (except detailed below). The subsequent 2 SIM moves (phones 2 and 3) initially went without a hitch,  but now neither phone operates properly. 

It's now impossible to make or receive calls on phones 2 and 3 without losing sound / connection. Either it takes numerous attempts before the callers can hear each other, or the sound will go blank mid call.

Phone 1 can ring  the 2 x lebara ones, and has problems with one but not the other. Phones 2 and 3 are unable to reliably ring or receive calls either to each other, or to anyone else on any network. We can normally hear each other on the 3rd or 4th attempt (phones always ring and "connect" ok, just the audio that fails) but it can often take up to 6 attempts and then may still go blank mid call.

The difficulty is Phone 3 is 93 year old dads, and frequent contact is needed so this is leading to some highly stressful situations. 

Unsure whether to revert back to Vodafone/ Virgin or buy newer phones as neither of us had these problem pre switch.  But hoping there's a more straightforward explanation.

Many thanks for any advice

Comments

• reddwarf2002
    reddwarf2002 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    So this could be a local mast issue relating to the Vodafone 3G switch off that has happened recently. Some people are experiencing a drop to 2G making calls and data fail at times.
    I'm on Lebara and briefly had this issue, but fortunately for me it was resolved the next day.

What phones are you using? Have you tried rebooting?
  • bdmum1
    edited 30 March at 12:38PM
    Options
    Hi, thanks for replying.

My phone is galaxy A21s, dads is Sony Xperia, both a few years old now.

Update since my post: called at Tesco mobile shop yesterday (very helpful considering not with their network) and they seemed to think it was a sim issue. They tried my sim in their phones and wouldn't pick up signal at all.

Did online chat with lebara and they also said it sounds like a sim issue. They've sent 2 replacement sims for me and dad so we'll see if that improves the problem.

Fingers crossed!
  • reddwarf2002
    reddwarf2002 Posts: 573 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I would have thought it would be extremely unlikely to have 2 SIMs develop the same issue at the same time. But it's worth a try, you have nothing to lose apart from a bit of time.
  • bdmum1
    Options
    Exactly. The guys ar tesco didn't seem surprised by the poor connection / signal with lebara as though its a pretty common issue. 

• sdduk
    sdduk Posts: 1,419 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 30 March at 5:31PM
    Options
    bdmum1 said:
    Hope someone can help.

3 of us have moved to Lebara in last 6 months, 2 from Vodafone 1 from Virgin.

The first SIM move (phone 1)went smoothly and works without any issues (except detailed below). The subsequent 2 SIM moves (phones 2 and 3) initially went without a hitch,  but now neither phone operates properly. 

It's now impossible to make or receive calls on phones 2 and 3 without losing sound / connection. Either it takes numerous attempts before the callers can hear each other, or the sound will go blank mid call.

Phone 1 can ring  the 2 x lebara ones, and has problems with one but not the other. Phones 2 and 3 are unable to reliably ring or receive calls either to each other, or to anyone else on any network. We can normally hear each other on the 3rd or 4th attempt (phones always ring and "connect" ok, just the audio that fails) but it can often take up to 6 attempts and then may still go blank mid call.

The difficulty is Phone 3 is 93 year old dads, and frequent contact is needed so this is leading to some highly stressful situations. 

Unsure whether to revert back to Vodafone/ Virgin or buy newer phones as neither of us had these problem pre switch.  But hoping there's a more straightforward explanation.

Many thanks for any advice

I had the same problem with signal where i live its not great for Vodafone/Lebara but what i also noticed was the settings Lebara sent me was not great so i searched about and found below link and followed what it said do.
    i was lucky and just updated the settings Lebara set me and i now have internet still not great but at least i can update my apps on my phone now so i would advise you give it ago you have nothing to loose....Just scroll down to the android bit.......Android APN settings Lebara mobile UK

https://theroams.co.uk/providers/lebara/guides/internet-settings/
    Nobody is Perfect. I am Nobody, therefore I am Perfect.
    :)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure