Friend had smart meter installed without consent

Options

Comments

• LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    LeesArt said:
    A smart meter can be installed or converted into a debt meter so there is an argument they have breached rules 

https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/publications/energy-regulator-outlines-next-steps-forced-prepayment-meter-ppm-installations

See note below

She should look at her suppliers promises and terms to see if they are in breach of those

She can pick up some terminology on the cadent website

https://cadentgas.com/services/household-customer/moving-your-gas-meter

I suspect that with a well written complaint the supplier will offer a settlement.

Note:

“The rules and regulations are clear that installing forced PPMs should only be done as a last resort and only where it is safe and practicable to do so. We expect suppliers to treat customers with compassion and professionalism and those executing a warrant should take into account what they find when they visit a home and pause the installation if they see a safety risk. Where this hasn’t happened, we will hold suppliers to account.  

However, I’m telling suppliers not to wait for the outcome of our reviews and to act now to check that PPMs have been installed appropriately, and if rules have been broken, offer customers a reversal of installations and compensation payments where appropriate. There will also be fines issued from Ofgem if the issue is found to be systemic. 

“We are taking this issue extremely seriously and customers should feel reassured that where the rules have been broken, Ofgem will act.”   

The OP doesn’t make any mention of this being a prepayment meter force fitted via a warrant, so that whole bit of spiel about those doesn’t really seem relevant here. If they were to raise a complaint about an inappropriate forced installation of a prepayment meter it would only confuse matters and absolutely would not help achieve whatever the desired outcome is, as that would be a completely unrelated scenario which hasn’t actually happed.

I was not suggesting it was a pre-payment meter force fitted via a warrant, the "whole bit of spiel" had sections in bold not to say it was the same but that the core issue is the same.

There is a vulnerable lady, no respect given, no communications given, no choice given on location which may cause risk to the customer.

If you don't know what the desired outcome is you can't said it won't help it be achieved.

What surprised me was that for the similar issue of getting a 3rd party company to do their dirty work, OFGEM will offer customers a reversal of installation and compensation where appropriate.. 

So it based on this similar bad behaviour it would not be unreasonable to ask for a similar remedy, it won't go back where it was but she might ask if it may still be inside on an external wall. She can ask if It may be reverted to an analogue meter because they are far easier to read, the Toshiba one is very hard to read and if you press a button to make the light come on it goes to a different screen and will not return for at least 5 minutes.

As I said "I suspect that with a well written complaint the supplier will offer a settlement."

The mere fact a complain to the ombudsman cost £400+ and that a complaint of a practice affecting many customers to OFGEM will be a risk that the supplier will want to avoid a similar page being created by OFGEM for this situation along with appropriate penalties.

There was a case in Bedford I think where BT installed a huge box on the side of a cottage and relied on a false assertion of what was said on the Land Registry deed,  it was not just an eyesore but it was affected parking and BT conceded they did not have the permission they routinely think they have.  The box was moved and wires moved underground.

I don't give much hope of a reversal but perhaps significant compensation.
  • LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    dunstonh said:
    On the contrary, It opens up the path to errors. For one reason in the recent news 4 million have gone wrong. 
    It would help if you read past the headline and focus on the facts.  The faulty ones are not communicating.  They are still working but as conventional meters would.  Most of these are SMETS1.   

When you are talking about true faults, the ratio of failures on smart meters is about the same as on conventional meters.
    As said in other threads where this argument was used quoting a percentage or a ratio to minimise the impact, the issue is 4 MILLION, on Smart Meters that were supposed to have ability for remote upgrade. 

The 3 MILLION were in June last year and the 4 MILLION by end of December so now 3 months later who knows how many more there are.

I remember it was likened to getting a windows or IOS update or being triggered by the Energy company automatically like the way a Roku box is.  If that were true then there would not be 4 MILLION nor even 100,000.  

The issue is all the promised benefits of the Smart Meter are lost when it becomes a dumb meter and that is what we paid for with the £10BILLION to £15BILLION cost we all paid for the project.

For Greg to say that there is "No recognition for same engineering effort" is not accurate if all they need is a firmware upgrade and he seems to be implying that firms want the "recognition" i.e. to receive an incentive to apply the resource. My approach would be to prevent service charge and charge the offending company £5 a day.  There is no point in Octopus being able to redirect the obligation to the original installer because OFGEM allowed half of them to go bust and made us pay for that too.  Then when that was to be removed they bleated about bad debt and got another 5% yet they have 3.7BILLION of customers money  according to the BBC. Moreover they have some of the most powerful remedies for recovering bad debt.  If you fall behind on your credit card the bank can't take some of your payment for food and apply it to your account.

• Chris_b2z
    Chris_b2z Posts: 102 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    @MattMattMattUK  Are you an official industry spokesperson on the MSE Energy Forum? You seem to quote specific details that would not be easily accessible in the public domain.
  • poppellerant
    poppellerant Posts: 1,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    hubb said:
    Well it isn't and it doesn't. I (and many people who I have spoken to) will not have one either. On the contrary, It opens up the path to errors. For one reason in the recent news 4 million have gone wrong. But then again why are you questioning why she doesn't want one ? My op was about freedom of choice that was overridden. 

The meter she had replaced was a very old type but they still didn't give her the chance to say yes or no. That's the issue. 
    My own advice is to take and record daily readings at the same time each day for the first week.  Then take weekly readings for a further four weeks on the same day and at the same time.  Then take monthly readings on a monthly basis, for example the 1st of each month.
    I know taking the readings at the same time each day might seem as though it won't make difference, but it can.  If you go to bed at 11pm, then take readings at 11pm before heading off.  There's no point taking the next day's reading at 11am, because you'll have only measured half a day's usage.
    Now I know it's a bit of an effort to take readings, but it's for the good in the long run.  So if your energy provider messes up and aren't able to take readings for the first few weeks (or months in my own case) after installing, you're still able to provide them with meter readings for accurate bills.  These meter readings can also help you spot any potential billing or meter issues before they develop into something more sinister, such as being under-billed for some time for estimated readings.
    Smart meters really will benefit your friend, especially in finding things that are turned on when they needn't be.  But after about a week most people grow tired of becoming paranoid when their IHD (In Home Display) turns red to alert them of high energy usage, so they just put the IHDs in a drawer somewhere.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback