Options
2»

Comments

• NoodleDoodleMan
    NoodleDoodleMan Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    TELLIT01 said:
    This type of scenario, or similar, has cropped up on the forum more than once in recent years - just shows the potential difficulties of friends agreeing to holiday together, then one or more pulling out causing financial dramas.
    Not apportioning blame - just an observation.
    The only solution IMO is for all to pay the full amount upfront on the understanding that there will be no refunds, unless granted by the tour operator - and the chances of that are zero.

Even that solution is fraught with risk.  The lead passenger may only pay the deposit despite being given the full cost by other party members.  Then the others are in a worse state than that outlined by the OP.
    Yes, it is a difficult set of circumstances - however there are practical ways to ensure that all parties are involved in the booking and paying their equal share.

• junebug555
    junebug555 Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    junebug555 said:
    my question is if I am liable to pay the cancellation fees ? I wasn’t lead passenger and I was totally ignored until the money was due 
    There are effectively two separate questions:
    1. Is a cancellation fee payable according to the terms of the agreement?
    2. If so, who is liable to pay it?
    Chances are that the answer to the first is yes, but obviously there'd need to be sight of the booking terms.

Assuming that a fee is applicable, the default position is undoubtedly that the lead passenger is legally on the hook to pay it.  If the holiday cost was to be split 50/50 then it's not unreasonable to expect that each party would bear half the cost of cancelling (unless there's any reason to pin the cancellation more on one than the other), but that's just a matter of what's ethical or moral rather than legal, so there'd be no liability as such for someone other than the lead booker....
    So in terms of payments - we agreed to pay 50/50 however after the fall out happened I didn’t just want to send a payment over without any confirmation that the holiday was still going ahead I have proof I enquired many times and for updates either way (if they’d changed their mind) I have proof that I got no response ? If I have no legality to pay then I shan’t ne paying a penny as this trip involved 3 children who were very very upset that we were no longer going and now being just over £700 ( childrens birthday  & Christmas money from relatives saved over a 2 year period) out of pocket there is no way I can afford to go around the time originally planned 
  • junebug555
    First Post
    Options
    This type of scenario, or similar, has cropped up on the forum more than once in recent years - just shows the potential difficulties of friends agreeing to holiday together, then one or more pulling out causing financial dramas.
    The only solution IMO is for all to pay the full amount upfront on the understanding that there will be no refunds, unless granted by the tour operator - and the chances of that are zero.
    Sorry can you tell me what “IMO” means please 
  • junebug555
    First Post
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your reply’s to my original post it’s very much appreciated my children are absolutely devastated as am I. Also very upset I’ve lost what I considered a to be friend and a 12 year friendship but lesson learned I guess 
  • badger09
    badger09 Posts: 11,247 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Sorry can you tell me what “IMO” means please 
    In My Opinion 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,375 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    So in terms of payments - we agreed to pay 50/50 however after the fall out happened I didn’t just want to send a payment over without any confirmation that the holiday was still going ahead I have proof I enquired many times and for updates either way (if they’d changed their mind) I have proof that I got no response ?
    You can't actually prove a negative, but it doesn't really matter, as surely there's nobody relevant to prove this to anyway?

junebug555 said:
    If I have no legality to pay then I shan’t ne paying a penny as this trip involved 3 children who were very very upset that we were no longer going and now being just over £700 ( childrens birthday  & Christmas money from relatives saved over a 2 year period) out of pocket there is no way I can afford to go around the time originally planned 
    I'd initially formed the impression that this was something like a long weekend away for a pair of friends, but if this was a proper holiday for your family, and you'd been saving for years, that was very risky to leave it all up to a friend to arrange without anything being shared in writing.  However, what's done is done - in the circumstances you might be able to persuade someone at Love Holidays to knock some or all of that £700 off another holiday booking, although realistically that's a long shot....
  • junebug555
    First Post
    Options
    eskbanker said:
    So in terms of payments - we agreed to pay 50/50 however after the fall out happened I didn’t just want to send a payment over without any confirmation that the holiday was still going ahead I have proof I enquired many times and for updates either way (if they’d changed their mind) I have proof that I got no response ?
    You can't actually prove a negative, but it doesn't really matter, as surely there's nobody relevant to prove this to anyway?

junebug555 said:
    If I have no legality to pay then I shan’t ne paying a penny as this trip involved 3 children who were very very upset that we were no longer going and now being just over £700 ( childrens birthday  & Christmas money from relatives saved over a 2 year period) out of pocket there is no way I can afford to go around the time originally planned 
    I'd initially formed the impression that this was something like a long weekend away for a pair of friends, but if this was a proper holiday for your family, and you'd been saving for years, that was very risky to leave it all up to a friend to arrange without anything being shared in writing.  However, what's done is done - in the circumstances you might be able to persuade someone at Love Holidays to knock some or all of that £700 off another holiday booking, although realistically that's a long shot....
    I am assuming Love holidays operate differently I tried calling them but I needed the reference number or my phone number of that the holiday was booked with in order to even speak to anyone, as upset as I am about the money I’ll loose it tbh to be rid of ex friend and in terms of providing proof I was referring to of this was taken to court I feel I have enough evidence to prove I was ignored along with if I there is no legality for me to pay the cancellation fees then there’s no chance I’ll be loosing anything else ? 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback