Sky April 2024 increase (please check yours)

Options
I have had an email from Sky saying they are going to put up there prices in April by 6.7%.
I understand this is in the contract when I signed up (not that I agree about mid contract price changes by the way)

However doing the math it looks like I am being over charged + Sky are rounding up, I would just like people to be aware and if it seems loads of us are seeing the same perhaps Martin could advise?

My current total bill for TV and Broadband is £44 (tv-£31 + broadband £13)
My new bill from April 2024 will be total £49.50 (tv-33 + broadband £16.50)

Individual math (today)
Sky ultimate - £23 (23 + 6.7% = £24.54)
Netflix - £8 (not changed)
Broadband - £13 (13 + 6.7% = £13.87)

My calculation of increase
£24.54 + £8 + £13.87 = £46.41

Individual math (April 2024)
Sky ultimate - £25 (23 + 8.7% = £25)
Netflix - £8 (not changed)
Broadband - £16.50 (13 + 26.9% = £16.50)

Sky calculation
£25 + £8 + £16.50 = £49.50
An over charge of £3.09

Sky said (verbally) there would be an increase during my contract when I signed up but did not
say by how much or what the % would be based on. I have read the T&C in the contracts they
sent me and I am unable to see any written evidence they use hypothetical figures (or round up to the nearest £) to calculate their increased prices, my understanding was it would be based on my bill when I signed up.

Comments

• Ayr_Rage
    Ayr_Rage Posts: 1,061 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 4:18PM
    Options
    If you look more carefully then you will find that Sky quote an "average price rise across our products on X.X % "

On a personal package, where most customers have some sort of discount, it is the underlying product that gets the price rise but not the associated discount.

You need to look at each element that makes up your package and do the maths.

For example, if you have TV at £33 with a £10 discount then you currently pay £23

With a 5% price rise that becomes £34.65 but you then pay £24.65 which is 7.17% more as your agreed discount is still £10

I would bet my pension that Sky are correct, I am with Sky too.

• Daveb10000
    Options
    Thank you for your understanding.  However I can not find it says that in the T&C’s.  So is it still morally right that a company can increases their prices and someone’s bill by what they should be paying and not what there actual bill is?

• iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,100 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 29 March at 12:21PM
    Options
    It’s fairly common to discount an set amount ( £5 , £10 whatever ) but when increasing prices  , the discount stays the same , so as a proportion of the total bill , the discount is worth less after each increase .
    TBH , depending on what type of broadband you have ( it may be ADSL rather than FTTC ) even after the the apparent near  30% increase, £16.50 is pretty cheap , but if it’s dependent on taking TV , it’s pointless subdividing the bill , I dare say if you removed TV , you wouldn’t have got broadband for £13 , and a new Sky broadband only customer ( not taking TV ) wouldn’t get broadband for £16.50
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback