Buying an EE router for BT Broadband... will it work?

Options
I currently have BT 900Mb package. Happy enough with the package but I know that their hubs are not WiFi6. EE now for full fibre packages offer a WiFi 6 router.... question is - if I buy the WiFi6 router independently (EE branded), will it work with my BT Broadband package? If it will, will I actually see any benefit given my package?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,629 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Just buy a suitable router that is not branded by any ISP.  It will probably be better and will have no issues with being locked to a certain ISP (if that is a thing).

If you want 900Mbps networking wired networking is most likely to be able to cope.
  • iniltous
    iniltous Posts: 3,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    You won’t see and better wired performance, you may get better WiFi ,but no guarantees , given that BT are encouraging their customers  to switch to EE , have you enquired about migration to EE using  BT to arrange the transfer, that may well provide a free EE router 
  • HaroldWhistler
    HaroldWhistler Posts: 96 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    wongataa said:
    Just buy a suitable router that is not branded by any ISP.  It will probably be better and will have no issues with being locked to a certain ISP (if that is a thing).

If you want 900Mbps networking wired networking is most likely to be able to cope.
    This.

You should be able to buy any Router from a brand such as Asus, Netgear, TP Link, Amplifi etc etc. Then you will be able to use it with any Broadband provider and generally speaking they have higher specs than the ones provided by most of the large ISPs at the moment. All you need are the login details from your ISP (in this case BT) to type in for the one off setup. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback