Notice of interest rate reduction on notice accounts

Options
I've got a 95 day account with RCI Bank still paying a generous 5.6%, although not for too much longer. Their summary box says "The interest rate is variable, and we can change the rate of interest on existing accounts by giving you at least 109 days’ notice" I have a 90 day account with Oxbury which says "Oxbury can make changes to your interest rate, any such changes will be communicated to you providing at least 14 calendar days’ notice in addition to any notice period for a reduction in rate" However when I look at Charter Savings Bank they say "If we decrease the interest rate we will give you at least 14 days’ notice of the reduction", which is less encouraging.

Just wondering whether there are any rules about this, or is it just different for every account.

Comments

• flaneurs_lobster
    flaneurs_lobster Posts: 3,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    edited 28 March at 2:21PM
    Options
    It varies greatly as you've seen. From memory the regulations say "reasonable notice" must be given, not very prescriptive. Firms often say that they give minimal notice if they're increasing the rate (not that this will be an issue for the foreseeable).
  • Hoenir
    Hoenir Posts: 2,108 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Providing financial institutions operate within FCA guidelines and regulations they can do as they wish. 
  • surreysaver
    surreysaver Posts: 4,108 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Reasonably, organisations ought to give notice of at least the period of which you need to give to withdraw money. Or waive the notice you have to give, if you wish to make a withdrawal due to a rate cut
    I consider myself to be a male feminist. Is that allowed?
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 481 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The 95 day notice account they have to give you at least 95 days notice because you've effectively entered into a fixed term deposit with them. So they are effectively giving you 14 days notice too, as you can't get your cash out for at least 95 days
  • jaypers
    jaypers Posts: 692 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Investec give 104 days notice which I thought was good. 
  • slinger2
    slinger2 Posts: 144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Looking again at the Charter Savings Bank account, there is more information in their General Savings Conditions which says "20.7 If we decrease the interest rate relying on paragraph 20.3 or the amount of notice of the change we give you is less than 14 days plus the amount of notice you have to give us to make a withdrawal from or to close your Account then you will then be free to close your Account (without notice, loss of interest or additional charges) at any time within 30 days ..." So it seems that if they don't give you the 95+14 days notice you've got the option of simply taking your money out without notice. So perhaps it's not a bad as I first thought. Should add that it doesn't seem to be anything they've ever done, at least not in recent times.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback