Compound Interest

Options
If a fixed term ISA provider, in this case Oak North, who's current interest rate is 5.07%, pays interest monthly, does this interest compound, meaning in month 1, for every £1000 you invest you now £1050, in month 2 you now have £1153, in month 3....................you see where I'm going with this? 

Comments

• BoGoF
    BoGoF Posts: 7,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Assuming the interest is not 'paid away' then yes. That is why interest rates (AER) on monthly paid interest is slightly lower than annual. 
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March at 1:59PM
    Options
    MissHap said:
    If a fixed term ISA provider, in this case Oak North, who's current interest rate is 5.07%, pays interest monthly, does this interest compound, meaning in month 1, for every £1000 you invest you now £1050, in month 2 you now have £1153, in month 3....................you see where I'm going with this? 
    At the risk of stating the obvious, if you have an account with a published interest rate of 5.07%, then being paid monthly doesn't mean you get 5.07% added every month, it's an annual rate!

So, the monthly rate would be roughly a twelfth of the gross annual rate, i.e. you'd get about 0.4% added each month, therefore £1000, £1004, £1008, etc....

BoGoF said:
    Assuming the interest is not 'paid away' then yes. That is why interest rates (AER) on monthly paid interest is slightly lower than annual. 
    The AER should be the same (that's the point of quoting AERs, to allow a standardised comparison), but the gross rate will be lower.
  • Veteransaver
    Veteransaver Posts: 480 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The monthly equivalent rate of 5.07% is 4.95641%

• eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Unless I'm missing something, their rate is now a bit lower anyway:

https://oaknorth.co.uk/personal-savings/fixed-rate-cash-isa/
Meet your Ambassadors