Octopus customer support

Options
Vic_H
Vic_H Posts: 1 Newbie

Is anyone else having problems with Octopus customer support? I've been going round in circles with them for weeks over a known problem with meter readings for dual tariff customers (day & night electricity rates). They don't seem at all willing to resolve the problem, they just keep putting more obstacles in the way. It is very frustrating and made worse by frequent radio adverts stating how good their support is.

Comments

• EssexHebridean
    EssexHebridean Posts: 21,372 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Is this in relation to a SMETS1 meter by any chance? If so then there has been I think at least 3 mentions of this issue in the past little while on here so it sounds like it is a "real thing", it is a widespread problem (ie not just Octopus I suspect) and it is being dealt with. I seem to recall someone else said that a deadline for sorting the issue out and issuing a fix to suppliers had originally been set for end Feb, but the manufacturer has now had that extended to end march. Another thread (probably the other Octopus Customer service one) saw someone making reference to the issue being in the process of being fixed, I think, so fingers crossed it may be on the way. 
    🎉 MORTGAGE FREE (First time!) 30/09/2016 🎉 And now we go again…New mortgage taken 01/09/23 🏡
    Balance as at 01/09/23 = £115,000.00
    Balance as at 31/12/23 = £112,000.00
    SOA CALCULATOR (for DFW newbies): SOA Calculator
    she/her
  • pearl123
    pearl123 Posts: 2,056 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I find  that messaging them via twitter seems to get a good response. 
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 28 March at 5:17PM
    Options
    Usually I'd agree, but the person I got this week (NZ based as out of UK office hours) didn't really help, 
    asked me to wait 48 hours as they've had data from my meter so perhaps the fault has been fixed...

Despite an Octopus email being screenshot which clearly shows them explaining to me that they get snapshot data every 24 hours but the half hourly data won't be available - I get dashboard data for a while but then it stops for a bit before resuming - clearly the fault hasn't been fixed because the last day I can see any data for was 8th March! 

I tried first via email, got nowhere, three attempts to make the bot understand what I was asking, and no final answer was given, "I'll contact the metering team", then silence. 

It was months and months before Octopus managed to say what was wrong with my meter (not the issue OP is having), and now after weeks and weeks I can't even get an update!

I'm also a Priority Services Customer and as with British Gas, it reality it is absolutely meaningless.

• LeesArt
    LeesArt Posts: 207 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I have had several issues with Octopus Customer Service, with them swallowing not only Shell Energy but the call centres that Shell Energy operated in Eastern Europe and South Africa, it really is a roll of the dice.

The people in these call centres are above average but they are not adequately equipped or experienced to perform to the same level as a long standing UK Octopus Staff member.

What I have determined so far is that you have to just ring back if you go offshore *waiting 30m for an answer at tines", also that when you do speak to someone they tend to be using the search page on FAQ's and email you the results verbatim. These do not help at all.

Next issue is that if you reply to that message you go into limbo and only way to get a reply is to file a formal complaint, they still do not always reply but after 8 weeks, deadlock or not you can escalate to ombudsman.

• brig001
    brig001 Posts: 389 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
     it is a widespread problem (ie not just Octopus I suspect) 
    I had this same problem when I moved to Octopus three years ago, and it really does seem to be just them, but I don't understand why. Scottish Power, EDF and EonNext don't have this problem with my SMETS1 meter. The last CS advisor I spoke to said it was the company that they contracted smart meter readings to that was doing something wrong, and Octopus would receive the readings randomly swapped

Brian
  • KxMx
    KxMx Posts: 10,605 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Formal complaint time... Twitter are now asking basic questions about the meter distance (time number 3 I've been asked since June). 
    They have a screenshot of their own words explaining to me what the fault is! I just want a  update! 
    Disgraceful way to treat any customer let alone a PSR customer. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback