Schedule Airline Failure and travel insurance

Options
Hi all, does anyone know of any travel insurance policies that include SAF? Virgin, who I used last year, has quietly removed SAF from being included. Then only one I've found so far is LV (their Premier policy).

Comments

• heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,554 Ambassador
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    I did a google search and it came back with quite a few companies as well as comparison sites that include it.

You can do comparison searches too with sites such as GoCompare.

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • msjm
    msjm Posts: 6 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    Thanks, I tried Googling but just got lots of info about what SAF cover was and how you could buy it as a standalone policy. I want it as part of my actual travel policy. The problem with GoCompare, MoneySupermarket etc is they don't have a filter for SAF like they do for gadget cover, or legal costs etc so you have to go into the small print of every single policy to see if SAF is included.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you taking a package holiday? paying with a credit card?
    just wondering why you want insurance for this
  • msjm
    First Post
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    Nope, not a package. Paying for flights and accommodation separately. Why do I want insurance? Because scheduled airlines do fail from time to time.
  • lisyloo
    lisyloo Posts: 29,617 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    msjm said:
    lisyloo said:
    Nope, not a package. Paying for flights and accommodation separately. Why do I want insurance? Because scheduled airlines do fail from time to time.
    Yes they fail, but there's more than one way to cover that.
    Would it be covered by section 75 on a credit card?
  • msjm
    First Post
    Options
    lisyloo said:
    msjm said:
    lisyloo said:
    Yes they fail, but there's more than one way to cover that.
    Would it be covered by section 75 on a credit card?
    Not sure if a s77 covers it - will look at that. Good idea, thanks hadn't thought of it.
  • msjm
    First Post
    Options
    or even a s75!
  • eskbanker
    eskbanker Posts: 31,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Section 75 isn't really an adequate substitute for insurance though - if you're purchasing flights and accommodation separately and the airline fails, a credit card company would probably reimburse the cost of the flight tickets but would have no liability for the accommodation costs if the trip had to be cancelled, whereas a decent travel insurance policy should cover that.
  • Westin
    Westin Posts: 5,944 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 28 March at 2:42PM
    Options
    Which airline are you planning to fly with?

I would calculate the risk before buying SAFA.   Book with British Airways, Emirates, Qantas and major carriers I wouldn't bother.  

My last SAFA insurance purchase was when I had transatlantic flights booked with Norwegian. 
  • msjm
    First Post
    Options
    Westin said:
    Which airline are you planning to fly with?

I would calculate the risk before buying SAFA.   Book with British Airways, Emirates, Qantas and major carriers I wouldn't bother.  

My last SAFA insurance purchase was when I had transatlantic flights booked with Norwegian. 
    Easy Jet. 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure