eBay selling collection in person - buyer delays?

Options
ANNA
ANNA Posts: 218 Forumite
First Post Photogenic First Anniversary Combo Breaker
I am a private seller of household surplus. I list my items for collection in person. In the description I specify collect within 7 days.
I sold an item which was immediately paid for. I have offered many collection times. Today is day 8. I've had countless messages from the buyer. How can I get her to commit to collect?
I keep getting reminders from eBay to dispatch, as though I am late and at fault, but I didn't add a postal option. Will this affect my late delivery rate and/or how I rank in searches?

Comments

• bluelad1927
    bluelad1927 Posts: 344 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    I'd offer one last chance to collect then cancel and refund 
  • ANNA
    Options
    This morning my buyer messaged to ask if I would be in today. I replied "Yes. Specifically for you." My buyer thinks that's "great". No timeframe given. It's sunny. I want to walk the dogs before the rain comes. Arghhhh!!!
  • soolin
    soolin Posts: 72,208 Ambassador
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    ANNA said:
    This morning my buyer messaged to ask if I would be in today. I replied "Yes. Specifically for you." My buyer thinks that's "great". No timeframe given. It's sunny. I want to walk the dogs before the rain comes. Arghhhh!!!
    If you are only going to do collection items on eBay then you need to be firmer. There’s no point saying all items must be collected within 7 days if you don’t follow that through, why is the comment there if you allow them to go over 7 days?

Today for instance, a better response might have been along the lines of ‘I can be in if you give me an idea of timing’ , don’t give them the chance to dictate terms. in future if you say 7 days, then on day 5 send a single reminder that this needs to be collected by xx otherwise you will assume they changed their mind. Then if it isn’t collected, cancel sale using the agreed with buyer option, and re list, but block original buyer. 

It also might be worth seeing if any of your items could be posted - it’s much easier. I sold several things yesterday, all paid for and sent this morning. My house is clear of the things and I’m not wasting time chasing people . 
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the eBay, Auctions, Car Boot & Jumble Sales, Boost Your Income, Praise, Vents & Warnings, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning , UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know.. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    ANNA said:

You're too nice... make them commit to a time frame of two hours, then when they don't turn up refund and block.
  • GDB2222
    GDB2222 Posts: 24,680 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    When I advertise stuff for nothing on the local FB group, half the time people don’t turn up. At least, you are getting some money for this stuff.
    No reliance should be placed on the above! Absolutely none, do you hear?
  • GrubbyGirl_2
    GrubbyGirl_2 Posts: 727 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 said:
    When I advertise stuff for nothing on the local FB group, half the time people don’t turn up. At least, you are getting some money for this stuff.
    I always ask for a telephone number and say I will text the address.  Those that have no intention of showing will not give a telephone number
  • rollingmoon
    rollingmoon Posts: 153 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GDB2222 said:

Been there... giving stuff away for free is far too much like hard work. I won't have anything to do with Freecycle etc. anymore, nowadays it's the charity shop or the tip.
  • HampshireH
    HampshireH Posts: 4,480 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    ANNA said:
    Did they turn up?
  • ANNA
    Options
    :) Thanks for all the useful tips. Getting firm got my buyer to send a van that afternoon:) Twenty messages is an unnecessary waste of time for just one item.

These are all large household items, furniture, etc. so I can't send. I have some items on Freecycle too, where my time has been endlessly wasted! By arrangement, I put items outside, which then weren't collected, and got rained on. I'll stop the Freecycle nonsense now. I'll continue selling my household surplus on eBay, but most items are too bulky to send. I do offer post where I can. Is 7 days for pick-up too long and should I put a shorter timeframe in my listings?

I really appreciate all your advice. I'm overwhelmed by my household "hoard" and must clear it to make some headway in my life.....
  • apw81
    apw81 Posts: 129 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Just sounds like you had an annoying buyer.

I don’t think 7 days is too much when it’s for collecting bulky furniture. I like it to be as soon as possible, once sold, but I’m accepting that people have their own life to navigate. Someone could buy on a Monday but not be free until the weekend. I always ask for a rough estimate of when they think they’ll arrive. If somebody tells me they can come on a particular day but doesn’t specify a time, I’ll tell them I’ll be free after this time, or available between these times, etc. I do all I can to accommodate buyers collecting, but not at the expense of getting the doggo exercised.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback