End User Queries Heat Network

Options
glpk
glpk Posts: 2 Newbie
First Post
Hi Team 

Need some inputs with respect to few end user queries related to Heat Networks.

BackGround:
I am a tenant in a flat. As a part of our moving-in process were NOT kept aware by the LETTING AGENT that the heating & hot water to our flat is via communal system "heat network". 
Though we were not informed about heat networks ,  our letting agent passed our details to respective billing agent without our knowledge & we started receiving the bill. The bill is addressed to Landlords but C/O of tenants name. My letting agent receives the bill as her email ID was registered & used to forward the bill to us & used to make the payment and send her screenshot of payment for confirmation.
To be honest we were never aware of heat networks because in the previous properties where we lived, we used to receive single bill for energy utility (electricity/heating/hotwater etc)

Query1 : When tenants are bound to the communal heat system without the option to change supplier, it is crucial to disclose this information to the tenants. Also they have shared our details to Billing agent without our consent. Should this be considered as GDPR breach?

Recently we came across a scenario where the bill was 5 digit figure for 1 month.  
Out letting agent as usual forwarded the bill to us , but in the email she asked us to deal with it & they cannot get involved. we were left to deal with the issue on our own. We did-not receive any help from our letting agent. We invested considerable back-breaking effort into understanding the system, eventually learning it is referred to as heat networks. 
After raising the concern with the billing agent regrading the abnormal bill , they took1 month to cancel the bill as it is incorrect , also they highlighted metering issues in the flat.
Now the task is assigned to letting agent to get the meter issues sorted as billing agent doesn't deal with heat-meters . Unfortunately looks my letting agent don't know about heat-meters etc in this property though they are managing the flats in this building for more than 7 years. Finally they are in the process of contacting building management etc.

Query2: Coming to  heat meters installed in individual flats for recording usage. Basically I would like to know if there are any regulations for heat-meters. I assume the supplier is responsible for the meters installed in individual flats, what about maintenance of these heat meters? 
Who is responsible to ensure meters are operated continuously and correctly. Is there any regulation that they (landlord, letting agent /supplier) should get heat-meters inspected periodically to check if they are working ok? is landlord/letting agents responsible for maintenance of heat meters in individual flats? 

Query3: In the case of normal energy , users cannot be back billed for more than 12 months in genuine cases  if I am not wrong. What about the back billing for heat networks ? Kindly let me know the rules.

Query4: If the billing agent is seeing abnormal spikes for domestic usage (or) constant meter reading for several years  , Should the billing agent have an alert or a warning in their system to identify this before issuing the bill to the customer?

Comments

• GingerTim
    GingerTim Posts: 2,039 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited 27 March at 5:02PM
    Options
    Heat networks are a bit of a wild west at the moment and there's very little regulation.

Query 1: no, this is not a GDPR breach, but I would express your displeasure to the letting agent that you hadn't been informed about the heat network before moving in. Was it mentioned in the property listing?

Query 2: I think this is the responsibility of the building's management company.

Query 3: as I understand it, backbilling does not apply to heat networks.

Query 4: no idea on that one.
  • glpk
    glpk Posts: 2 Newbie
    First Post
    Options
    ok Tim , thanks for your inputs. Nope it was not mentioned in the property listing .
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,636 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 27 March at 5:43PM
    Options
    GingerTim said:
    Heat networks are a bit of a wild west at the moment and there's very little regulation.

Agreed, there is little regulation for heat networks, but there is this little bit of legislation - Heat Network (Metering and Billing) Regulations. In a nutshell, if they are billing you, they need to use MID compliant (or similar) meters to record usage, and provide accurate bills (there are exemptions for certain types of buildings). So who ever is generating the bill is responsible for the maintenance & repair of any meters used.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,106 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    @glpk

Re Query 4  -  lovely idea but it doesn't happen with the Gas and Electric companies with their huge computing power.

I suggest you treat the heating bills in the same way that many on the forum do -  keep one of Fergals wee spreadsheets, read your meters - elec, heating, water - every month, do some simple maths.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure